Bookmarks intelligence in Firefox

Feature name

Bookmarks intelligence in Firefox

Feature Description
  1. In my humble opinion, who has been using firefox for exactly 6 years, Firefox is the best browser in the world. The only thing I miss in Firefox is a feature I call “bookmarks intelligence”. I have exactly 6000 links.
  2. I know that there are very good options on the market like Raindrop or Pocket that work as bookmark managers. But going back to what I said at the beginning, I really like firefox and I don’t see much point in using some cloud service to manage my favorites, if I myself use the pc environment a lot. Also, I like to be in control of my data.
  3. The resource “bookmarks intelligence” would be to make the firefox browser smarter. To define this concept I will leave a list of items:
    1. It would be nice if Firefox generates bookmark tags automatically
    2. It would be really cool to associate bookmarks with a color system, it gets to a level, as is my case, that you have so many bookmarks that you get lost to find what you’re looking for. A color system can be used as a search filter. Which makes it easier to find certain bookmarks with specific color types
    3. Bookmarks could be divided into types, this information can be generated automatically, for example, if I access a video, usually this link should be of type video.

my initial vision

Note: I would like to know the opinion of everyone here in the Mozilla community. I would like a feedback if this is interesting, if the idea is good. As you can see, the bookmark is separated by the color system that I mentioned, the collection, the type of bookmark and we still have the bookmark folder and also auto-generated tags that I had mentioned as well. This gives greater control and efficiency - Out of 6000 bookmarks, I can only select by color or color and collection bookmark | color and tag | color and collection | collection and tag | collection and type bookmark | type bookmark and color | color, collection, tag and typebookmark - can I still filter by most recent / filter by least recent

a real and more complete view

idea 1

image 2

2 Likes

Hi Community!
I have idea … about this idea: Bookmarks intelligence in Firefox

@everyone

Feature name

Option to export bookmarks as csv, bibtext, markdown(table), sql or json in Firefox

Feature description
  1. It would be nice if Firefox had other formats to export bookmarks such as json, markdown(table) or even csv or sql format. I believe the feature: Export bookmarks might be an extra feature of Firefox, but it might be tied to this idea of bookmark intelligence. So, part of the functionality that was commented on could be related to the export feature as well. Just the Html format, is not a suitable format. There are interesting and alternative options for Html like Json, markdown(table), csv and the sql format.
  2. Formats like json, markdown(table), csv or sql are very interesting formats and even simpler than Html. The Brave browser for example uses the json file format for bookmarks. Firefox could, like Brave, use the json file format to replace HTML for exporting bookmarks. Or maybe it has different export formats like csv, sql, markdown table. An interesting thing that I forgot to mention is that there is the bibtex file format, it is quite simple. Perhaps having a bibtext based format is the best way.
  3. Bibtex is a bit similar to json, the difference is that it is usually used to have a base of bibliographic references. Bookmarks - I think it’s a web reference base, it would be better to have a bibtext based format. Many sites that we need to consult daily, it is difficult to remember them all. Checking the history or bookmarks is an interesting way to remember which site we want to access.
  4. A current problem I see with the html export format is that the tags repeat themselves a lot, when you want to save something you usually want something more consistent. The bibtex format can help in this regard, it is much more consistent than html and json. Also, much of bibtext is similar to what sql and markdown(table) or csv would be.
  5. Usually bibtex is encoded in utf-8, iso allows characters from all languages. The coolest thing about bibtext is that similar to json, for example you have to have opening braces and closing braces. Bibtex I said is similar to markdown(table), so bibtex is consistent and memorable. The idea of markdown format is something simple to be written, formatted. Bibtext has the same concept as markdown for the simplicity of its formatting. Bibtex is also similar to csv and sql in the sense that it is a database. It’s a very light, small and highly standardized format. So, there are several free, paid, open source programs that can read and open .bibtext files.
  6. I talked about some formats like json, markdown(table), sql, csv that can replace the html of the export. There is a bibtex format that can replace html and that it knows to be better than the other file formats I mention as sql, csv, markdown(table) or json. Using bibtex, csv, sql, markdown(table) or json format are smarter alternatives and that have more results than html. So, as this thread says “Bookmarks Intelligence” I thought the feature of exporting bookmarks to other formats like csv, json, sql, markdown(table) or even bibtext - can make Firefox experience and usage better.

Proof Of Concept 1

References

Proof Of Concept 2

1. sample Bookmarks.csv in Firefox

"checksum","roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__date_added","roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__guid","roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__id","roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__name","roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__type","roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__url"
"5f768309166a824ee3c429310f5f2801","12283833653791385","d8d908c7-ae9d-4af0-9bf7-e90b49eeaaab","1","","url","google.com"

2. sample Bookmarks.md in Firefox

|checksum|roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__date_added|roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__guid|roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__id  |roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__name|roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__type|roots__bookmark_bar__children__children__url|
|--------|---------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------|
|5f768309166a824ee3c429310f5f2801|12283833653791385                                  |d8d908c7-ae9d-4af0-9bf7-e90b49eeaaab         |1                                            |                                             |url                                          |google.com                                  |

3. sample Bookmarks.json in Firefox

{
   "checksum": "5f768309166a824ee3c429310f5f2801",
   "roots": {
      "bookmark_bar": {
         "children": [ {
            "children": [ {
               "date_added": "12283833653791385",
               "guid": "d8d908c7-ae9d-4af0-9bf7-e90b49eeaaab",
               "id": "1",
               "name": "",
               "type": "url",
               "url": "google.com"
            }, {
               "date_added": "13282226653791385",
               "guid": "e8d908c7-ae9d-4af0-9bf7-e90b49eeaaab",
               "id": "2",
               "name": "",
               "type": "url",
               "url": "gorazy.com"
            },
         ],
         "date_added": "53283836064181830",
         "date_modified": "53286318399102380",
         "guid": "0dc5e13g-2hia-5j74-951f-3k233fe6c908",
         "id": "1",
         "name": "Bookmarks",
         "type": "folder"
      },
      "other": {
         "children": [  ],
         "date_added": "11282816063181841",
         "date_modified": "0",
         "guid": "82b081ec-3ee3-529c-8475-ab6c344590dd",
         "id": "2",
         "name": "Other bookmarks",
         "type": "folder"
      },
   },
   "version": 1
}

4. sample Bookmarks.sql in Firefox

CREATE TABLE mytable(
   checksum                                        VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
  ,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_date_added VARCHAR(17) NOT NULL
  ,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_guid       VARCHAR(36) NOT NULL
  ,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_id         BIT  NOT NULL
  ,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_name       VARCHAR(30)
  ,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_type       VARCHAR(3) NOT NULL
  ,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_url        VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL
);
INSERT INTO mytable(checksum,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_date_added,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_guid,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_id,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_name,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_type,roots_bookmark_bar_children_children_url) VALUES ('5f768309166a824ee3c429310f5f2801','12283833653791385','d8d908c7-ae9d-4af0-9bf7-e90b49eeaaab',1,NULL,'url','google.com');

5. sample Bookmarks.bibtext in Firefox

% NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1
% This is an automatically generated file. It will be read and overwritten. Do Not Edit! 
@DOCTYPE{title="Bookmarks", h1="Bookmarks"}
@DT{item1, HREF="www.linux.org" ADD_DATE="1441686100" LAST_VISIT="1341286100" LAST_MODIFIED="0941286100" TITLE="linux" ICON=""} 
@DT{item2, HREF="www.ytb.com" ADD_DATE="1441686100" LAST_VISIT="1341286100" LAST_MODIFIED="0941286100" TITLE="ytb" ICON="ZBvaw=="} 
@DT{item3, HREF="opensource.org" ADD_DATE="1441686100" LAST_VISIT="1341286100" LAST_MODIFIED="0941286100" TITLE="src" ICON="Za2w=="}

search intelligence in Firefox

scheme: https|http|ftp ... 
netloc: 
path: "/house" "/google"
params: "opensource"
query:
fragment:
hostname: google.com
port: 80 ... 

@paulocarlosjose:

What does this mean?

1 Like

Mozilla recently started up a new “Ideas” site at https://connect.mozilla.org/. I think if you have time, it would be a good idea to post there to get into the current feedback stream. I suggest separating the internal features and export features into separate ideas/discussions.

1 Like

@tripleo Hi! How are you?

1. I haven’t given much thought to marketing… in a good name for the feature I requested, I apologize.
  2. So … It’s just an idea for you to search for links in Mozilla Firefox in a good way… according to this specification: rfc1738 and rfc3986

example

netloc: 
path: "/house" "/google"
query:
fragment:
hostname: google.com
port: 80 ... 

ui/ux

queries

hostname and path: "/house" "/google"
// → ['https://www.google.com/house', 'https://www.google.com/google']

syntax

and
or
not
equal
path: "/keyword" "/new-keyword"
hostname: "google.com"
port: "80" ... 

@jscher2000 Thank you so much for the tip, you are amazing.