Borderify Extension not working (no errors)

Hi,
I’m working on the Borderify Tutorial.
What I made:

No errors are thrown
Sadly I don’t know how to debug it.
Thanks for any idea and help : D

Some more information:

• I use Firefox 72.0.2 and Ubuntu 18.04
  • Disabled all plugins
  • on another PC it worked (I forgot to note the number)

You’re loading the extension temporarily using about:debugging?

Try testing on a different site. The Add-ons site and various other Mozilla sites are off-limits to extensions for security and privacy reasons.

1 Like

Thanks and I’m using the about:debugging site to load the plugin.
I now tested it on: www.mozilla.org and discourse.mozilla.org.
Sadly there isn’t a red line either.
Edited:
I found an error in the Inspect/ Console tab:
Could not map contract ID ‘@mozilla.org/sharepicker;1’ to CID {1201d357-8417-4926-a694-e6408fbedcf8} because no implementation of the CID is registered.
Error: Can’t find profile directory.
I’ll look does errors up Tomorrow.

If you open the Dev Tools panel on the page you’re testing and click Debugger, the Sources column should show the extensions that have injected content scripts. Is Borderify or any other extension listed?

General note: if you are testing in a private window, you need to go to the Add-ons page and enable the temporarily loaded extension for private windows.

2 Likes

Thank you for your time : D
I was in using a private window. Now it works.

1 Like

I have used web-ext to run the extension and in my case borderify is not listed under sources in debugger. I am not testing in a private window.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the differences between interactive loading and using web-ext.

For posterity’s sake (I hope I don’t get flagged/berated for this), I only want to let those who are also starting to learn how to create Firefox extensions like me, and are eventually led to the Borderify tutorial and this discourse here, that the temporary loading method for extensions via about:debugging does not appear to work in a Snaps version of Firefox. At least for me it didn’t.

I’m on Ubuntu Xenial still (I know) and initially used Firefox Snap 118.

Installed Firefox (v88 got pulled in) on apt and then it worked perfectly just like the tutorial promised.

Happy learning!

I’ve tried to run one of my extensions in my testing Ubuntu 23.04, using the default Snap version of Firefox ESR 115.

And when I loaded it manually in the about:debugging page, it works!

However, when I try to use web-ext run, which should be preferred option, it fails with error saying it cannot access the profile. That’s bad :frowning:.
And I see now it’s a known issue: