Can *Anyone* release extensions right now? To me, it looks like addons.mozilla.org is critically broken

i wonder if the problems are related to manifest v3

@idk,
it looks like they have updated the text to say it may take 3 to 4 weeks

1 Like

Possibly. It could also be those jokers that are spamming extensions that pin specific websites or add shortcuts deliberately clogging up review queues in order to escalate to harmful behavior during an update, or a talent shortage, or a problem with the signing certificate itself or any number of completely nightmarish scenarios. No meaningful or honest communication on why has occurred from Mozilla yet.

Edit: Oh good they updated it to say 3-4 weeks. They’ve successfully communicated honestly once.

Edit: “It could also be those jokers that are spamming extensions that pin specific websites or add shortcuts.” - * Add-ons that serve the sole purpose of promoting, installing, loading or launching another website, application or add-on are no longer permitted to be listed on addons.mozilla.org . Add-ons Policy Changes 2021 I think I guessed part of this right. More importantly, they’re talking about it now.

Mozilla got back to me on my extension today - it was rejected and had the following helpful workaround:

We experienced an issue that significantly delayed the review of add-ons using the proxy API permission. This issue has been resolved for add-ons targeting Firefox 91.1 and above.

We apologize for the long delays you may have experienced in the queue. As we are now able to more quickly review add-on versions targeting Firefox 91.1 and above, please update the browser_specifics_settings key of your extension’s manifest.json with the following and submit a new version:

"browser_specific_settings": {
  "gecko": {
    "strict_min_version": "91.1.0"
  }
}

See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/browser_specific_settings for more information about this key.

Thank you for developing extensions for Firefox!

After adding this top-level key, I resubmitted and now it’s live! :partying_face:

1 Like

are they saying that the delays caused by the proxy settings in some extensions, are also affecting extensions that dont change the proxy settings? as my extension does not touch the proxy settings, and im still waiting for my extension to be reviewed since Sept 9th…

No meaningful or honest communication on why has occurred from Mozilla yet.

I got this message and am reasonably optimistic it will work for me as soon as I am back at my desk I’ll be trying it. I’m still a little wary after this episode, and most of my questions are still unanswered, but for now things do finally seem to begin to be improving for a few of us. Seems like there must be more than one issue if it’s affecting people who don’t touch the proxy permission though.

Nope. Still broken, still no solution in sight, still no meaningful communication.

Dear Mozilla, if you’re going to make me wait months for a review at least try to understand my WebExtension and bother to figure out what it does. At the very least, read the README.md. Your reviewer clearly did not. I finally got a code review email today and it contains nothing actionable and reflects a complete failure to understand even the most basic goals of my extension, in fact the reviewer suggested creating a serious security issue would be necessary for my extension to pass review.

1. The user must be provided with an opportunity to refuse the storage of or access to cookies, and must be informed of the consequences of doing so (e.g., without a functional cookie, the add-on may not work). Installing cookies that are not explicitly required for the add-on’s functionality is prohibited. Please see https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/develop/best-practices-for-collecting-user-data-consents/ for an example of how to present the consent. For more information, refer to https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/publish/add-on-policies/#data-disclosure-collection-and-management .

I don’t install cookies, I delete them, and I don’t transmit cookies anywhere. Your comments suggest A) That you’ve completely misunderstood the purpose and functionality of my extension and B) that you didn’t actually bother to review the code, which has been my suspicion for the past several months. To clarify, there are no cookies created by the extension for the user to refuse, and should the user refuse to allow the extension to delete cookies related to I2P use then the extension fails to accomplish it’s very most basic goal, which is to isolate and manage I2P traffic and history. Adding the capability would be an anti-pattern that would make my users unsafe and I won’t do it.

1. Please add a privacy policy to this add-on that details which user data is being sent and to what services. The critical things to describe in the policy are how your extension collects, uses, stores, and shares or discloses information about people.If your add-on makes it apparent to websites that it is installed, this must also be mentioned. The privacy policy should be about the extension only, not a copy of the website's privacy policy. It should also be the actual text, as opposed to a link to a privacy policy on a website. The privacy policy can be added in the add-on settings under “Manage Authors & License” on AMO.

I have had a privacy policy in my add on for most of it’s existence, the fact that you did not see it suggests strongly to me that you didn’t bother to review my addon at all. I have, for the sake of your inability/refusal to read the README.md, or indeed the second paragraph on the website for the extension itself: https://eyedeekay.github.io/I2P-in-Private-Browsing-Mode-Firefox/ added it to the named section.

Do better and stop wasting my time.

idk

i take that back about them updating the message explaining delays may be possible, as i submitted a new update to my extension a few days ago, as the one i was waiting ages to get approved was already way out of date, and i got the same old this addon may take a few hours or a couple of days to get approved message via email…

this is so ridiculous, in this day and age of rapid release cycles, the mozilla addon manual review queue is a serious bottleneck and a huge impediment to developing extensions that need to adapt rapidly to changing circumstances. there must be a better solution.

in the meantime im having to direct users to either use the greasemonkney script version of my extension or change to using a chromium based browser, where add-on updates are approved at a much faster pace.

Having the same issue and waiting for more than 35 days until my UNLISTED extension being reviewed. It’s not getting better folks =/

Our extension never got reviews and its been a nice month what is happening? it says it passes all test but awaiting review.
Tab Management is our extension.

1 Like