Update: This thread is being closed based on conversation with @nukeador and @debloper and I’ve decided to work with reps team and bring incremental changes towards the final goal of an inclusive reps program (there is no way I can see a disruptive change will be brought on, no matter what I do)
Original post below the line
Welcome to the Community Mobilizers program. Community mobilizers are passionate Mozillians who mobilize and develop functional and local/regional communities. They are committed to empowering others to contribute to Mozilla projects.
Community Mobilizers are passionate Mozillians who mobilize and develop functional and local/regional Mozilla communities. They are committed to educate and empower people to support Mozilla’s mission and contribute to the project based on Mozilla’s priority areas.
Community mobilizers are community coordinators interested in:
- finding and connecting new talent with Mozilla projects they are contributing to
- developing communities on a functional or local level
- supporting local communities and Mozilla to have an effective and decentralized environment for contribution
- creating collaborations with adjacent communities to spread Mozilla’s mission and expand Mozilla’s outreach in the open source ecosystem
- collecting local knowledge from Mozilla communities to inform and inspire Mozilla’s strategy, activities and priorities
Community mobilizers are here to help, empower and inspire people to contribute to Mozilla projects.
The Community Mobilizers Program is open to everyone who is a Mozilian. Following are the benefits of joining the Community Mobilizers Program:
- Access to a global community which includes people from many different countries and cultural backgrounds
- Opportunity to help your local community grow
- Grow your leadership and communication skills and build networks with new people from many different countries around the globe
- Amplify Mozilla’s impact in your local region and functional area.
An open and community-run program
The Community Mobilizers program is open to anyone who is:
- passionate about the Mozilla Project
- knowledgeable of the Mozilla organization, its mission, its products and its community
- willing to communicate to as many people as possible and keen to inspire people to contribute to Mozilla
Anyone can sign-up to become a Community Mobilizer by joining this Telegram group.
Can anyone become a Community Mobilizer?
Yes, any Mozillian who is passionate about the mission can become a community mobilizer. If you are not feeling confident about your abilities as a community mobilizer, but would love to become an effective community mobilizer, do join the program as others will help you become an effective community mobilizer.
Isn’t the reps program same as this?
The reps program is similar to the community mobilizer program. But there are a few major differences:
- The community mobilizers program is an unofficial, community-run experiment and as such does not get budget or swags from Mozilla.
- The community mobilizers program is open to all and selection to the program is through self-selection.
Can reps also join the program?
Of course they can. It is an open program.
How is the program governed?
As of now, the program is at its infancy and therefore the governance structure is evolving. Please join the conversation in the telegram group to help.
Isn’t this duplication of efforts in the reps program?
There is some amount of duplication of efforts. But, that is necessary for helping a lot of Mozillians who do not become eligible to join the reps program to be able to effectively mobilize communities.
Wouldn’t it be better to modify the reps program to suit this purpose?
The reps program has grown too big to change and it takes considerable amount of effort to engage with the program and modify it to suit the needs of mozillians. This experiment, being new, and having no baggage from the past, can quickly be converted into a form that suits the needs of the community.
Will this last 2019, at least?
You have to answer that. If you see the need for an open program to help every mozillian effectively mobilize communities, join the program and keep it alive.