Common Voice Android app: legal question about the logo and the name "Common Voice"

You may have missed this bit @bozden, ‘Sav has obviously spent a lot of time developing this app and it works perfectly’ The problem is Mozilla’s refusal to back the app. You may also have missed Mozilla’s first response, ‘We want to take this opportunity to let you know that the ability to contribute to the Common Voice dataset via an unofficial app will be removed in the near term.’ It hasn’t happened yet but it led to the decision by Sav to discontinue supporting the app.

Yes Sav I just think Mozilla should support your work thanks.

1 Like

Nope, I didn’t missed them, I’m aware of this topic from the start because I also try to provide open-source solutions based on CV.

I’m not sure how it happened, but the app is here and works, they solved the problem. Perhaps dear Saverio (@Sav22999) can tell a bit more about that. AFAIK, the app also got a small grant from the Foundation, see the link @Sav22999 provided.

In the last couple of years, there have been quite a few requests for Discord plugins and such. I cannot imagine the mess it would cause in the dataset quality and dependability if there were hundreds of such unmonitored sources (FYI: I’m not counting this App and the Sentence Collector under this umbrella).

As a side note, IMHO, the best solution would be that these extensions are part of the same official codebase/monorepo, iff MCV had the resources.

1 Like