Community Bouncer

I had proposed at our recent NA Reps Meeting to investigate having a ZNC instance for Mozillians to use. Currently MoCo has a ZNC instance going on people.mozilla.org which some staff have found very useful.

With some many Mozillians living in areas with poor connectivity a bouncer would help them having a steadier connection to IRC in that if they drop they will still get messages and will allow those of us with good connections to get messages when were offline.

I personally have been using ZNC for some years and its allowed me to spend less time on IRC especially with support for push notifications.

Has the security profile of znc changed? It was nack’d before at Mozilla because of security concerns around account management.

Also, NickServ passwords still appear to be stored in plain text for that module, although I don’t know if there’s a way around that. We’d have to make sure modules aren’t enabled that store personal information in plain text.

I’m unsure but based on what I heard from William Reynolds is that there is a znc instance available to staff on people.mozilla.org so apparently it passed some sort of review.

Ideally it would be nice if contributors could have access to some of these same services as staff (Email, MozPeople) instead of building new silos.

It not officially running (as a heads up) so I wouldn’t share it out too widely.

As far as I am aware anyhow