đź“• Community Playbook v0.9 - Feedback request

Hello everyone,

Over the past months I’ve been putting together a “Community Playbook” that now is mature enough for public feedback.

I would like to invite everyone to check it out and add your comments in the coming weeks on how to improve its content. I’ll be incorporating the feedback and publish a v1.0 by early July.

The playbook will be a living document, always evolving and linked from the main Common Voice site. A more visual version of its content is planned after v1.0.

Mozilla Voice Community Playbook v0.9

Goals for this playbook

• Provide people interested in contributing to Mozilla Voice goals and mission with clear guidelines and expectations on how to setup and run a self-sustaining Mozilla Voice community.
  • Unify existing community knowledge previously documented in different places.
  • Be the central place to understand the whole voice community journey.
  • Communicate what brings value to the project and how communities can support it.
7 Likes

Hello,

This is a reminder to add your feedback on this important piece for the Common Voice community before the end of June.

Thanks!

1 Like

I think there is a bit of ambiguity in the use of the word community. In many cases it is used to mean the wider community of people who contribute to and use this project, and there also seems to be " self-sustaining Mozilla Voice communities" which are smaller groups focusing on one language. This guide is about the later I think, but to someone new to the project it might not be clear exactly what the definition of this later type of community is. Maybe they could be called something like Mozilla Voice … language communities / local communities / localization communities / linguistic communities / voice communities.
And perhaps the first paragraph could be reworked.

“Mozilla Voice communities empower the collection of machine-learning based voice technologies – including software, tools, and data – that Mozilla stands behind.”

I would like to know right away; What is a voice community, why might I want to make/join one.

I like it a lot and it is extremely helpful. I wish something like this existed when I came here.

I hope that this file will be accessible for many and not just visible in this forum post. Maybe you should link to it in the FAQs and on GitHub.

2 Likes

The concept we are trying to communicate is that this is a community of communities, and they work of every community is key for the goal of having an open STT system.

The “The Voice communities” sections described the types of communities we are talking about for each language: Text, Voice, Localization, Models…

Mozilla Voice has a variety of communities that support the project in different important areas, they are usually grouped by language.

The work done by these communities advance a language from not having a presence in Mozilla Voice at all to being able to generate a functional SST model which is able to understand how people speak.

Hello everyone,

I’m going to collect all feedback by the end of the week to put together a v1.0 of the playbook.

Please chime in the document before the end of the week.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I’ll be putting all together and create a new topic once the playbook 1.0 is uploaded.

Cheers.