This is not a new subject, but I want to highlight its importance, especially if you have not seen this thread about SUMO Badges
We will not have the people or time to keep supporting SUMO Badges in 2018.
I would like to use this thread to discuss badges and recognition in SUMO.
I think that in general there are two types of recognition: personal (individual) and official (visible to others)
Personal (individual) recognition:
- Personal value and professional growth
- A sense of accomplishment (“getting the job done”)
Official (visible to others) recognition:
- Items (tshirts, stickers, bags, etc.)
- Official letters or certificates
- Recognition on professional networks / other sites
We had a chat with Seburo, Noah, and Mkll on IRC recently on the topic of recognition (if badges were to stop being used). We also talked about other ways of showing our appreciation of your contributions to Mozilla’s Mission (especially through SUMO).
Some of the options for recognition that were discussed:
- Linkedin projects and recommendations. Check out our new Linkedin Group Page for Social: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13580162
- An official blog post with highlights of positive interactions in the community
- Mozillian Profile vouching
- A centralized process for events and item/swag requests (that is a part of the Mission-Driven Mozillians initiative)
- Recognition through your social media profiles (@ mentions from official Mozilla accounts, etc.)