Cookie management: button to add exception

Hi Mozilla Team,

I would like to suggest an idea for the cookie management.

Ideally, this is what I would like to do:

• configure my Firefox to block all cookies
  • create exception website per website

It is possible but, to create an exception, I have to open “Parameters”, to browse several sections, to create the exception, close parameters, reload the website.

Why not to add a quick button somewhere arround the URL to :

• open a kind of menu
  • in this window, we could have all cookies that the website would to create
  • for each cookie, a button to add the exception

It seems there is a lot of extensions to manage cookies but all extensions I tested seems to manage their own list instead of to fill the browser’s exception list.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Here’s a slightly faster method, using the Page Info dialog. You can call that up using either:

• Ctrl+i (for Mac, Command+i)
  • (menu bar) Tools > Page Info
  • click the lock icon in the address bar, on the drop-down click the > button, then at the bottom click “More Information”

When the dialog comes up, click the Permission icon at the top to show that panel.

Scroll down to “Set Cookies” and uncheck the “Use default” box, and then select Allow to let the site set any kind of cookies, or Allow for Session to let the site set session cookies (but not persistent cookies).

This dialog doesn’t have a save button, your changes are saved as you go.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer :slight_smile:

Just to be sure about how the feature works.
Imagine I visit a website (myexample.com) and this website want to add 3 cookies:

If I use this panel to authorize cookies, do I accept all 3 or only the one from my myexample.com?

The Permissions panel is only for the site you are viewing (it specifies the relevant origin at the top of the panel). Therefore, you cannot use it to modify permissions for third party cookie sources.

Thank you for details :slight_smile:

It can help a little bit but it is not exactly what I thought in my suggestion :confused:

My suggestion consists to have something similar to NoScript for cookies directly embedded in the browser and that work with the native exception list.

I think to have a button directly in the browser can improve the private life and the user experience because:

• we profite of Firefox Sync (the exception list is probably synchronized ? if no, to add the sync)
  • we control cookies with granularity
  • we know exactly which cookies are accepted and setuped: no matter the website (whether it is the website visited, a third party, etc.)