Date sent - Date received - How to show them?

When was a message precisely received (day and hour) on my PC and when was it sent (day and hour) by sender ?

I need these informations in order to know a few things about a particular email I received on TB …

Let’s say I received an email today at 12:00 …
How to know at what time it was sent ?

2 Likes

Not even a single answer ?

Look in the email headers - control U - and in particular at tge ‘Received from’ header lines:

1 Like

Thanks DaveRo !

I just received an email … and checked things the way you said.

The header in TB window shows 11:05 … but that is not the hour I received this mail (11:52).
So going through the source (CTRL+U)

• I noticed that the hour shown in TB is the hour the message was sent.
  • and the hour I received it is not shown “normally” by TB but it is in the source text.

Thanks for these “guidelines” to my problem.

Problem solved, but why dos TB provide a “column” such a “time sent” and “time received” ?

This fact opens a path to creating an addon …

:wink:

Thunderbird, and its predecessors (back to Netscape communicator) has always shown the date and time that the email was received by the sender’s server. As far as I know, all email programs do that. (You’ll also find a ‘Date:’ header.)
The latest ‘Received from’ header actually shows the time your email provider’s server received it. Your email client may have got it minutes, hours, even days later; it depends how often it checks for mail, or how often the server pushes it. The server might go offline for a week!
The date/time you got it isn’t shown at all. (It’s probably in a the server’s log if the police wanted to know.)

This add-on may help.

Tibitts … Thanks, but my emails accounts are not sent to IMAP but to POP3 … (Sorry, I forgot to mention it)

@DaveRo : thanks again.
Problem not yet solved in fact, but I got you …

A message can be written at 12:00 (time A), sent 2 hours later (time B), get to the initial server 2 minutes later (time C), and then forwarded in a few minutes or more (time D), and then reach you (time E) …

Let’s say an addon, rather than a search in the source code where data is confusing and non-existing eventually, would be a very nice thing … with “date sent” from the initial server to the date and time final server received and date and time received via TB …

These are really important things in some particular instances.

This looks like a Police investigation, but it is not !

So one step ahead is to know how much time it takes between the time it takes usually between hitting the button “send” and the time the initial server gets it !

Can you answer me ?

For the rest, ie initial server and final one, I hope someone will tackle this problem (for POP3 accounts) !

:wink:

With “control U”, I can get to source coding, BUT
a) I don’t know what “tge” is;
b) i cannot find a “received from” expression (and neither something close such as “received” … !

1 G is next to H on my keyboard.
2 Are you looking at the source of an email message, or the source of something else?

PrintingTools NG add-on is able to both display and print the email received date

Below is the same reply as above. But with details if you’re interested in those.

Steps:

1. Install PrintingTools NG add-on from https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/printingtools-ng/
  2. Activate Add received date
  3. To find the received date and hour, you need to expend the email header. The number 2 in this screenshot shows this button.
  4. Optionally, if you need lots of details about the email received and sent date and time, using Thunderbird, navigate to View menu —> Headers option —> All option. The header will be expended, it is long. So you might need to scroll. The number 2 and 3 in the screenshot above show the location of this header.
  5. Optionally, use PrintingTools NG to either preview or print the email and its header to either paper or a PDF file. Which will include both the sent and received date and hour. The number 4 in the screenshot above shows this button. The above works assuming you configured PrintingTools NG appropriately.