Defaut Theme Utility, no option to select tab highlight

In the overhauled theme creator on AMO (not Firefox Color btw), there isn’t any way to specify the tab highlight for your theme. This results in weird issues where the tab highlight is in an unwanted colour, which is distracting and irritating. I’m going to use my theme (One Dark Theme) as an example here.

What my theme should look like (Firefox Color demonstration)

As you can see, there is no highlight for the selected tab. This is what I intend for my theme to look like.

What my theme actually ends up as

There’s a white highlight on the selected tab. I don’t want this, it’s distracting. Another minor issue, text inside the tabs have a noticeable shadow effect to them, which isn’t present in FF Color. We should be able to disable this.

Worse still is how my theme appears on it’s AMO listing:

There’s no tab highlight visible. This is misleading for people who just want a dark theme, and end up geting duped.

I believe adding a “tab highlight” option to the theme creator on AMO should fix this. This is all we have now at the moment:

There were some recent changes with the way tab_line works that might have caused AMO to give incorrect previews. See this fixed bug in Firefox and this open bug on AMO.

As for the property not being present in the wizard, that’s by design. The wizard is meant to only support the most commonly-used theme features, since there are dozens of properties and it would quickly become very hard to maintain and use. To take advantage of more advanced properties, you can build the XPI yourself and submit it using the upload form.

2 Likes