Donation - Lowest transaction fee for an Australian

From Donation - Lowest transaction fee for an Australian @ mozilla.general ; and subreddit firefox

Hi,

I wish to donate money to Mozilla. I am from Australia.

I tried looking in the Donation FAQ - https://donate.mozilla.org/faq but couldn’t find an answer.

What is the lowest transaction cost to donate to Mozilla so the most amount goes to the mission. Whilst for my small donation it would not make much difference over all of the donations recieved in a year it would.

Does Stripe or PayPal give reduced fees since Mozilla is a not for profit?

Would an Australian credit card be the lowest? I also have some US dollars in a transferwise account so can transfer to a US bank account or Euro bank account or UK bank account.

Please provide a question and answer in the Donation FAQ.

Thanks
Darryn

I haven’t received a response after 5 days. Don’t you want my money? Where is the best place to post these types of questions, if not where I have. I do know about donate@mozilla.org but I don’t want to waste there time.

1 Like

You picked two dead ends, sadly. I don’t know of anybody monitoring .general or reddit.

Discourse here should be better, but I’ll need to ask you to have a bit of patience still, as the Foundation is closed over the holidays.

1 Like

I’m trying to find the right person to answer your question here, as @Pike mentioned, it might take a few days since most people is on holidays break.

Hi Darryn @ brisdaz … Will Easton here, I manage grassroots fundraising for the Foundation. Thanks for your question – a good one – and apologies for the lack of reply over the past few days! The lowest transaction cost is going to be using your Australian credit card to donate AUD, no extra currency conversion fees that way. We have a standard 2.2% processing fee with all credit card transactions, which is just kind of the cost of doing business. (That rate is lower than the industry standard, both b/c we are a nonprofit and also we keep our dispute rate low by closely monitoring any questionable donations.) Hit me up with any other questions, will@mozillafoundation.org, and thanks for being willing to donate to the Mozilla Foundation!

4 Likes

Also – donate@mozilla.org does work well for any questions like this; we read everything that comes in and try to respond to donation questions within 3 business days.

2 Likes

@WillEaston Do we have any fixed cost if the donation amount is too small (eg., minimum as 2USD), or it will be always 2.2%?

Hey Irvin, that’s a tough question to answer specifically, because it depends on the credit card vs. PayPal decision. As we get lower on the scale, say under about $7 USD, PayPal is better b/c we have a “micro” account with them as well, where the per-transaction fees are only $.05 (as opposed to most other donations, which have a $.30 per transaction cost on top of the 2.2%.) Also … to figure this accurately, you really need to know the probability that any given transaction is fraudulent, which has potential for a $15 fee … so, basically, it’s complicated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please message me before flagging as spam.

My apologies I haven’t donated yet despite it being five months later.

Please clarify as the best/most efficient way to donate is still not in the FAQ: I don’t know why?. Perhaps it’s because “The best method is the one you’ll actually do”. The only mention, which was there five months ago, is: 1.2 Does giving bitcoin result in more of my charitable donation going to transaction fees? which says 1% for bitcoin is the lowest fee method, lower than credit card or PayPal. Unfortunately, I don’t have bitcoin so what’s the second-lowest fee?

Anyway, PayPal for Australian credit cards (I presume it’s international which cost more, not even counting the atrocious PayPal Exchange rate, since you’re based in the USA) for $5AUD is only $0.05 USD transaction fees?

I know cheques have admin costs and hassles. Why only accept SEPA and BACS transfer and not ACH bank transfers? At least one other person, David Ross also wants to do ACH bank transfers so I’m not the only one.

I don’t have any international foreign transaction fees on my credit card and the credit card uses MasterCard or Visa exchange rate which is close to mid rate exchange rate or Google exchange rate. Since you spend in USD wouldn’t donating in USD be the lowest transaction fee then?

Hi Darryn, unfortunately there’s no one right answer to that question for everyone – as you said, the best way to give is the one that you’ll actually do.

We have PayPal optimized behind the scenes to keep fees to a minimum based on the size of the transaction (smaller vs. larger donations, and per-transaction versus percentage of the donation fees).

Accepting ACH is on our wishlist for future development, but spinning up new ways to donate is unfortunately not just a matter of flipping a switch. We go through very extensive security and privacy reviews with any new system – especially on something public-facing that involves money – and we do not have a large fundraising and finance staff with extra time on their hands.

In your case, if you don’t have foreign exchange fees on your credit card, giving via AUD or USD is likely to result in pretty much the same net amount to Mozilla, so … your choice! :slight_smile: And thanks in advance for your donation!

DONE!

1 Like

Updates? This may allow scheduled transfers under user control.

I’ve done a search on " ACH " and "ACH " with no results other than this thread.

Congratulations on accepting ACH bank transfer. Was this announced anywhere?

But is this done with direct debit so is it really that much cheaper or convenient overall for all concerned? I notice it’s half size compared to credit card and PayPal.

I thought some of the point of accepting ACH transfer was that it was under donator control.

Once again thanks for accepting ACH transfer.