Editing a Theme with an XPI file

I was attempting to edit a theme that was just a JPG file upload with an XPI file created using Firefox colors. All that happened was I received a “Version 1.0 already exists.” error message. Does anyone know what I might have done wrong or is it not possible to edit an existing design that wasn’t uploaded as an XPI with an XPI?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD - I just tried editing a theme with an XPI file that I originally uploaded with an XPI file and got the same error message.

If you upload a new version, you have to increase the version number in the manifest.json -> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/version

2 Likes

Oh! Would you happen to know how to do that using Firefox Colors? That’s how I created the XPI file, by exporting the design from there.

Thank you!

I do not, no. I’m not sure Firefox Colors is designed to be used further than as a basic starting point. You can manually edit the manifest.json by treating the XPI file like a ZIP file.

1 Like

Okay, thank you! I’ll check into that.

@freaktechnik, I just wanted to say thank you again! I was able to edit the design per the information you gave me! Thanks! :grinning: