Firefox: debugger: does not stop at breakpoints

I can set breakpoints easily and I can see that they are set. But they are not hit when I refresh the page. Instead, an exception I throw (occurring after the breakpoint) is caught.

I found an obscure icon near the top of the window to activate and deactivate the breakpoints! I enabled the breakpoints, but now the page is infinitely looping in some of the debugger’s own code and reporting “Paused on exception SyntaxError: ‘*,:x’ is not a valid selector.”

Is this a known problem? Has it a solution?

I was using the debugger for a Web Extension. Did that put it in a strange mode for regular debugging? How would I get out of this mode?

@daviddev I assume you are trying to debug a website and not an extension; using the nomal devtools and not the browser toolbox – right?

now the page is infinitely looping in some of the debugger’s own code and reporting “Paused on exception SyntaxError: ‘*,:x’ is not a valid selector.”

Do you have path for the file where the Debugger chokes on his own code?

Harald, I have moved the files to the Web at springtimesoftware.com . The main file is test-log.html. Additional files used are test-log.js and test-log.css . Previously, I had been debugging an extension. However, this page is stand-alone. I don’t know what the ‘browser toolbox’ or ‘normal devtools’ are, sorry. I’m using the builtin debugger in Firefox (Ctrl-Shift-K gives you the Console).