General troubleshooting tips/guide?

Last week, I got the WebThings Gateway setup on a Raspberry PI. I currently have three (Hue) bulbs hooked up. I ran into an issue where basically all of the lights stopped responding/working; even after removing and re-adding them. Eventually i just started over by reinstalling the Gateway.

Right now Iā€™m running into an issue with one of the lights, it has the temperature slider, but it doesnā€™t work, itā€™s locked in at ā€œ50ā€, and canā€™t be adjusted.

I can try to do some troubleshooting on my own, but I donā€™t know what to do/look for. Is there a general troubleshooting/debugging guide or something I can look at?

Are you using the Zigbee add-on or the Philips Hue add-on?

Iā€™m using the Zigbee add-on with a ConBee II. :smiley:

I have had this exact same behavior with Halo lights. The color temperature slider does not show the color temp, but rather just a 50. You may even be able to manually type in a color temp, but the slider will not work. In my case, this has managed to fix itself on three different occasions with three different lights. I think it may have been after two or three reboots of the gateway, then waiting about 3-6 hours.

Just curious, If you look at your /.mozilla-iot/data/zigbee-adapter/zb-xxxxxxxxx.json file, what is shown under a color temperture setting? For example, mine looks like this:

},
ā€œcolorTemperatureā€: {
ā€œnameā€: ā€œcolorTemperatureā€,
ā€œvalueā€: 3058,
ā€œvisibleā€: true,
ā€œtitleā€: ā€œColor Temperatureā€,
ā€œtypeā€: ā€œnumberā€,
ā€œ@typeā€: ā€œColorTemperaturePropertyā€,
ā€œunitā€: ā€œkelvinā€,
ā€œminimumā€: 2702,
ā€œmaximumā€: 5000,
ā€œprofileIdā€: 260,
ā€œendpointā€: 1,
ā€œclusterIdā€: 768,
ā€œattrā€: ā€œcolorTemperatureā€,
ā€œattrIdā€: 7,
ā€œfireAndForgetā€: true,
ā€œbindNeededā€: false,
ā€œconfigReportNeededā€: false,
ā€œinitialReadNeededā€: false
},

So, looking at this, you can see my temp slider now runs from 2702 thru 5000. Even when it was locked at ā€œ50ā€ these numbers were still present. Odd.

Thanks for the update, @mstegeman, looks like the same issue to me! :smile:

Thanks for the response, @lacojim. Funny you mentioned rebooting the gateway and it fixing itself. Thatā€™s basically what happened here! I restarted the gateway, then some time later I turned on the light, and then magically it was working! *shrug!

I found the configuration, if youā€™re curious, hereā€™s what it looks like:

"colorTemperature": {
  "name": "colorTemperature",
  "value": 4403.4435483871,
  "visible": true,
  "title": "Color Temperature",
  "type": "number",
  "@type": "ColorTemperatureProperty",
  "unit": "kelvin",
  "minimum": 2202,
  "maximum": 6535,
  "profileId": 260,
  "endpoint": 11,
  "clusterId": 768,
  "attr": "colorTemperature",
  "attrId": 7,                                                                                                                                         
  "fireAndForget": true,
  "bindNeeded": false,
  "configReportNeeded": false,
  "initialReadNeeded": false
}

Thanks again! :smiley:

1 Like

Glad it is working for you. This is certainly some quirky behavior. Itā€™s a shame there is no real easy way to troubleshoot itā€¦that I know of.