Hey everyone in provisional meta team,
It’s the last week of September already and therefore I think we should get
to work soon before Oct 31 and finish the tasks we have.
These are the initial functions/tasks of the provisional meta team
- Support creation of functional and focus teams
- Build out how the meta team is going to work - operational specifications.
- Build out a process for establishing the longer term membership for meta
In this email I will just document some of the available options we have so
that it is easier to start talking.
Supporting creation of functional and focus teams
We can write down in a document a brief description about each team and
their roles and invite people to form these teams organically with people
being encouraged to choose a single team. After a couple of weeks (with
some teams already communicating), we can have a combined meeting with each
team where members of the provisional meta team and members of the team sit
together and figure out if the teams are going in the right direction with
their initial set of goals, membership criteria, operational
We can then help teams select facilitators.
At this stage, teams must be good enough to go ahead without support from
Building out how the meta team is going to work - operational
I have a feeling here that we be a model for other teams to emulate. Thus,
let’s start communicating out in the open. As for an example, I’m CC’ing
this mail to community-india and discourse category such that it’s by
default open to everyone. Let’s have this public-default conversations and
restrict our audience only when there’s a very sensitive issue that
shouldn’t be public.
Build out a process for establishing the longer term membership for meta
These were the criteria brainstormed during meetup
- Hold Strong opinions about process
- Able to articulate process clearly in writing or talking
- Understanding sensitivity around issues
- Be analytical
- Be enthusiastic
- Be open, transparent
- Be as objective as possible and able to identify when they are not and
bring biases to the table
- Have relationships globally with community and staff
- Be comfortable being accountable and held accountable and have a track
record of being held accountable in public (eg by blogging)
- Have experience in thinking and working on cross-mozilla teams
- Have time
I hope we can work on this and form a draft set of criteria which we can
invite comments on and have a final set which itself can be flexible based
on future discussions. Let’s quickly form this membership criteria so that
there can be more members in the meta team.
Let me know your thoughts (in private, if not in public)