Help building Firefox Developer Edition..?

Hi

I have been following these instructions to build myself a copy of Firefox:

I have successfully built copies of Nightly, Beta and (fingers crossed - it is running now!) Release, but I am struggling to build a copy of Developer Edition.

I tried _hg clone https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-aurora/ aurora which did bring down the files, but ./mach build failed with a python error (not recorded (sorry), but also not experienced with other versions) which makes me think it is bringing down the old Aurora code that is not compatible with the last bootstrap.py.

I could build a copy of Beta and change the update channel to Aurora, but that would not get the correct branding and theme.

How do I build a copy of Firefox Developer Edition?

I’d say this is correct, as Dev Edition is built from the same repo as Beta is.

Checking about:buildconfig in Dev Edition yields that the update channel is indeed changed to Aurora in the official build through --enable-update-channel=aurora, however there is also --with-branding=browser/branding/aurora which should give you the right branding. I haven’t tried this though.

Hi @mkohler

Thanks for that. Where would I set the prefs you mention before I run ./mach build?

Can’t help thinking that there should be a repo that I can clone with hg…

Create a file in your mozilla-beta checkout called mozconfig. Then add the following to it, and then run ./mach build again.

ac_add_options --enable-artifact-builds
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=./objdir-frontend
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/aurora

Of course you can leave off the artifcat-builds line, if you want to compile from scratch and not using artifact builds.

1 Like

Hi @mkohler

Thank you. I may give that a try, but I am currently trying https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/config/mozconfigs/linux64/devedition with the addition of

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j1"

I am trying to replicate the actual Dev edition build, as I have found that is the only one that is missing from the MDN guide. Fingers very much crossed. :slight_smile: