How Do I Change The Size of My Image So It Fits My Theme?

Hi,
I’m new to the site and trying to create my own theme. I got my image cropped down to the required 3000 x 200 but I can’t figure out how to shrink the KB size. It’s not supposed to be over 300 KB I believe but for some reason it says mine is larger than that and I have no idea how to change it. Can some please help me out?
Thanks for your time,
Echo

What graphic program are you using?

I use Photoshop and when saving an image for web use, it gives the option of image quality. The print screen below shows where the quality can be adjusted and where you can check the file size before saving (areas with red boxes around them).

Depending on what program you are using there might be a similar way to adjust the quality (and the saved file size) when saving an image.

Also, I’ve noticed that if the whole of the image has a lot of texture to it, the higher the KB will be. So sometimes I’ll even add a solid color in a new layer over the design, lower the resolution of the solid color layer and then using a soft brush eraser, erase some of the solid color over the focal point of the design. It helps to reduce the file size. See examples below.

This was a theme I made but as you can see, even selecting a High quality and not Maximum, the KB was higher than 300.

So I added white in a new layer, lowered the opacity to about 50% and erased over the focal point and a bit beyond.

Then when I went to save it, you can see that the file size was reduced because of it.

And of course, if you keep the design restricted to the right side of the header graphic, with a solid or lightly textured background, that will help as well. I don’t know what your image looks like but if you want to post it, I (or someone else) might be able to give you some suggestions.

You can also use a website you can try. It is called Free Online Picture Resize. Works great and is easy to use.

Thanks so much for all the great tips! Unfortunately I’m super basic and all I have is MS Paint. Thanks so much though!

You’re welcome.