How do I fast track a simple ff feature on android?

Hi,

I have no experience developing firefox or developing for android, but I’m starting to think I might need to acquire some of both.

The crucial feature missing on my phone’s firefox browser is the ability to save my bookmarks to a user accessible file.

It would be nice if the functionality were the same as the desktop version, ie: export bookmarks to an html file.

Assuming it’s not possible to write a dynamically loaded DOM to a file as html, I can think of other ways forward:

• walk bookmarks, write to page then copy (manually if necessary) to clipboard
  • copy places.sqlite to the user file system (preferred)

I can’t believe this feature is difficult to implement, so browser developers must have another reason to block this feature, maybe to force users to use sync?

My options seem to be:

• root my phone to access places.sqlite
  • fork firefox and build a modified version from source
  • develop an extension/plugin/addon (preferred)

I have two questions:

• can an extension/plugin/addon accomplish this task on android?
  • would firefox front-end have access to an api for this?

For my purposes, a temporary extension loaded from a file would be 100% adequate, and these seem very easy to develop on desktop. Is it possible to load one of these (eg: the examples) using a file:// URL on android? It looks like the bookmarks API api would do what I need.

Also, any tips on the easiest way to get into firefox and android development would be great. I use Linux and have a strong background in C++.

‘Bookmark all tabs’ would be nice too…

All good. Checking out the APK from IceRaven. I think I can write an extension for what I want.

1 Like