How to detect an element which is editable by the user

In my extension I’d like to distinguish events having been triggered in elements that are editable by the user from those triggered elsewhere. The test should also include read-onlyness of elements, even if it is only declared by, e.g., ARIA attributes.

So far I came up with the following criterion (t being the event target)

editable =
      ((t.isContentEditable) ||
       (t === document.activeElement)) &&
      (! ((t.getAttribute( "readonly" )?.toLowerCase() === "true") ||
          (t.ariaReadOnly) ||
          (t.getAttribute( "aria-readonly" )?.toLowerCase() === "true")))

Does that look OK? Anything else to consider?

Thanks!

Well, I just noticed that the condition (t === document.activeElement) is too broad, of course. It yields true on pretty much every focusable element, for example, on buttons or the document body.

While it may be OK in the context of my particular extension, it seems that a general solution would need to test in addition the type of the DOM element, and for HTMLInputElement even the type attribute.

So something along the lines of:

let edtypes = { text: 1, search: 1, url: 1, tel: 1, email: 1 }
   let editable =
     ((t.isContentEditable) ||
      (t instanceof HTMLTextAreaElement) ||
      ((t instanceof HTMLInputElement) && (t.type in edtypes))) &&
     (! ((t.getAttribute( "readonly" )?.toLowerCase() === "true") ||
         (t.ariaReadOnly) ||
         (t.getAttribute( "aria-readonly" )?.toLowerCase() === "true")))

Anything more straight-forward available?

Are you only interested in contentEditable? If so, you’d also probably want to check the contenteditable state of ancestors, since it also applies to descendants.

What about other elements, such as those typically associated with forms (input, textarea, select, etc.)? There a decent number of builtin elements you’ll want consider in addition to the input types you mentioned. See the “other elements that are used when creating forms” list on MDN’s element.

What about non-standard UI elements provided by libraries such as comboboxes or date pickers? These are often implemented using a variety of JavaScript event listeners and DOM mutations. If the creator of the UI element is responsible, you may be able to lean on ARIA attributes to detect and handle these updates. That said, this kind of support can be spotty – I’ve seen my fair share of implementations that are impractical for other code on the page to detect and respond to.

Thanks for your reply.

And sorry for not being more precise in my question - I have been skipping over one important restriction: I’m only interested in elements that allow text to be entered/modified by the user.

I thought using isContentEditable on an element would care appropriately about the ancestors’ setting of contentEditable? At least my tests seem to confirm that …

Will check, thanks for the pointer.

Uh, I haven’t thought about anything like that, TBH. I hope there isn’t much among these that allows text entry and will continue to blissfully ignore these.

So it does! Don’t mind me. I think when I first read your code I somehow converted isContentEditable in my brain into checking if the contenteditable attribute was set on the target element.

Hopefully I’m just being a crotchety old man and warning against the way we used to write web UI back in my day. This is the kind of thing I recall seeing a lot of around 2010. Hopefully these days sites are at least pulling in well written components and you won’t have to worry about all that.