I’m writing a Bash script part of which is dealing with creating a custom variant of
permissions.sqlite with a list of websites added to it to make Firefox store the cookies locally. So far, I can successfully create the file which replicates the one used by Firefox but with extra website data. Basically, the script is reading each line from a user-provided plain text file with a list of URLs to be added to the database (
origin), creates a new database and populates the respective tables in it with URLs, timestamps, etc. I’ve paid particular attention to the structure of the file, including tables, value types, etc.
I can open and manipulate the file with SQLite Browser and SQLite Manager with no problem. But when I replace
permissions.sqlite in the Firefox user profile with my version, the browser doesn’t recognise it - it shows no data under
Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Cookies and Site Data -> Manage Exceptions. And I wonder why.
Also, I noticed that the file sizes are considerably different (mine is several times smaller), and I guess it’s related to tooling differences between Mozilla devs and me than the actual content of the file.
I’ll be grateful if you can enlighten me on the issue. Thank you!