How to safely extend a running timer?

I basically want my outdoor lights to stay on for 15 minutes after the last sensed motion from the motion detectors. So how do I extend the running timer that would be triggered by the first motion event? Or any other better solutions (I tried pulse, and it went badly).

Iā€™ve actually got some changes pending for the pulse adapter that will allow you to do exactly what youā€™re asking for. The new version should be available in the next few days.

A ā€˜restartā€™-action would be a rather intuitive thing for a (running) timer.

And btw, I really appreciate seeing the timer count now.

The timer adapter is maintained by a third party developer (@t1m1). If there are other things that would be helpful in that adapter, Iā€™m sure heā€™d be happy to hear your suggestions. :smiley:

@silmunc16
Hi, Iā€™m the author of the timer adapter.
You can find it here.
If you have any problems or ideas for improvements just submit an issue I will see what I can do.

And btw, I really appreciate seeing the timer count now.

Thank you for the positive feedback :slight_smile:

I agree. Nice addition. I have discovered that adding a timer reset to the final timer action works rather well. So ā€œTimer Expired, turn on/off device and reset timer at the same timeā€. It does not fix the renewing of the timer before expiring, but seems to work more cleanly on a timer reset than my previous method. I too wish there was a way to reset before expiring. As long as motion continues, it will not expire.

@silmunc16
I added a restart action to the timer.
As soon @mstegeman merges https://github.com/mozilla-iot/addon-list/pull/570 the new update will be available.

1 Like

Super sweet!! Thank you @t1m1

Yes, ty. Iā€™ve got multiple rules to rewrite when I get time.

Thanks @t1m1! Already tried it out. It works perfectly!