I'm retiring from all my responsibilities in Mozilla community

Now having the TL;DR out of the way, please read on to avoid hasty assumptions.

It has been a long run for me. In fact, it has been the longest run for me being involved in a community (and if I had to clarify - that is not ending - I still am, and will be a Mozillian for foreseeable future). What’s changing, however, I am relieving myself from all the positions/roles/responsibilities/expectations of the community.

Why now?

I meant to do this long back. But it never appeared to be a good time as it was almost always vulnerable to be misinterpreted given the condition/situation of the community at that time, and could have a negative impact of sorts:

• 2013: Last time the community was in a good shape for me to become a bystander. I already took myself off of my global community roles, but FxOS launch in India was upcoming, and I was involved in a way that i just couldn’t replace myself readily. Rest of the years talk mostly about why couldn’t I leave for the local community’s sake.

• 2014: By the time we were done with the FxOS launch, Mozilla India was swamped with internal troubles. Lots of key people retiring left right and center, pissed at the community goals, objectives, operation and transparency etc. Me retiring at that time could have been associated with the same/similar reason, and I wanted no part in it.

• 2015: The local community was struggling with its scale, activities, growth and internal management/operations. Leaving at this point seemed like quite a tragic end of all what I, as a part of the community, had worked for and to myself it was ditching the community in its bad days.

• 2016: The greater part of 2016 for Mozilla India has been restructuring the community, and with that, lately, I feel we have a perfect balance and critical mass of new Padawans and old Jedis in the local community, that it can sustain well on its own.

#What now?

I realize there are unresolved bugs, undone list items, uncompleted tasks - which I simply can’t just chuck out of window. So, I’ll wrap them up in a few upcoming weeks. Meanwhile, if you figure I have access to something that needs delegation, please let me know. I’ll try to cover everything that’s pending as neatly as possible.

I’ve skipped a section of thanking the people I’ve had the pleasure to work with in the community, that’s because I don’t wanna fail miserably at it, but you know who y’all are. It’s quite likely that I’ll probably not get to meet some of you ever, even though we used to meet each other 5 times a year.

But that’d be okay I guess, cause we have the Internet :wink:

All my social profiles and chat apps will be open and you’re welcome to say “hi” just because you want to - without any reason - whatsoever.

Personally, I’m going to start working on things I really enjoyed all along (coming up with ideas and building stuff), but I reckon, I haven’t done much of it for past 4-5 years. So, I’m going back to being how I remember myself at my peak.

Farewell and happy new year!

6 Likes

Sad to see you step down but the best part is you’re not going anywhere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’d be a good idea to list down those responsibilities and a transition plan for each.

I am sure we’ll cross paths again many times my friend! Keep us posted of your new efforts and creations! <3 <3 <3

Good bye and welcome @r_qDYrxoJ3X9S_ltyv6BEiGw! See you on the Internets!

-Henrik

Let me take this opportunity (darn that sounds cliched) to thank you for all the help/conversations/guidance over the years. You were one of the first few to welcome me into the community so well not very happy watching you leave.

… wishing you all the best for your future endeavors