Inventory

We should start keeping inventory of things around the community

2 Likes

In more detail, we’d like to start keeping an inventory of the different tools different teams and communities are using, what they’re using them for, what they like and don’t like about them. As part of a community group ourself, and not the IT department, we can be a neutral 3rd party so that people won’t worry that they’ll be told “you can’t use that, we already have x y z tools for that!” By having a neutral database of these things, we can see what tools are working, communities that need a tool can get recommendations and hopefully will select tools already in use rather than using a whole new tool. Hopefully it will also help allow for some streamlining if we can see that a certain tool is being used by many people, or if we see that everyone is trying to use a certain type of tool, but no one is really happy (then we can look into trying to find the one tool to rule them all!)

What we need to figure out is what software to use to track this inventory. I know how to use Semantic Mediawiki for this kind of thing, but that isn’t necessarily the best tool, just what I know. Though it might be a good idea to have it in a wiki as we want people to be able to look up tools. Anyone have any suggestions on what tool we should use to track our tools? :wink:

Another tool that might work could be https://github.com/mozilla/inventory

Semantic Wiki might actually be a good idea
MediaWiki has a good potential to build into other things too, should people have a use for it. Semantic looks quite cool, too :slight_smile:

We tried this, I believe, nobody figured out how to use it

Just off the bat that page doesn’t look very user friendly. Can you explain a bit how it’s supposed to work?

I tried setting it up. It didn’t work because of problems on my computer,
but I doubt it would be good for us. There’s absolutely no documentation.

I personally have never set it up and yes it has no documentation. I’ve been reaching out to Brandon Burton but never got any further than cloning it down.

ok well then let’s try using Semantic Mediawiki if no one has any better suggestions soon.

I’m fine with using Semantic MediaWiki if @Kensie is familiar with using it for this purpose, but I feel like a whole wiki may be a bit overkill for just an inventory. But I could be completely wrong, so I think we should try it out!