iOS app won't allow new sign-in without a Firefox account?

I’m using the Common Voice app signed in on iOS using my Firefox account and it works fine. My girlfriend finally expressed interest in participation after seeing me use the app many times. However, after trying multiple times to log in via email and her Google account, she was never able to log in and ended up deleting the app from her phone without participating. Needless to say this was a very frustrating experience for both of us :confused:

She made an account on voice.mozilla.org using Safari but there is no option to use a password. The iOS app Common Voice sends an email which links to Safari which is a log in screen that sends an email… creates a loop. It never ends up sending her back to the app and she is never logged in. Trying to use her Google account gave an error of some kind… I didn’t bother copying it because she really did not want to use her Google account anyway. She just wanted to make a new account and use the app.

Both of us are using iOS 12.1 (with 12.2 having just been released today, so I think that’s fair).

I think I may be able to convince her to give it another shot if someone can help explain how to get her logged in :slight_smile:

There are two main issues on iOS:

1. Safari doesn’t support the web technologies used for recording so it’s impossible to record in Safari. This is the primary reason the app exists.

However, Apple is bringing those features to Safari soon, although I don’t know when. It may even be in today’s update.

1. When you click the authorization link it needs to open in the same browser that you entered your email into. But that browser is inside the app and tapping the link takes you to Safari. This was looked into a while back and it was determined that there was no way to get it to work. So it’s currently impossible to login via email through the app. (I have suggested this option should be removed.)

I also had trouble signing in via Google but Github worked for me. So if she registers for a free account there and then logs into it, it should work.

But in the longer term it’s probably better to use Safari once iOS supports the recording feature.

Ah. I’ve seen problems like this in apps on iOS before, so I’m not really surprised but it’s unfortunate! I guess I’ll try using the web version in iOS 12.2 once I get that update installed, but if that doesn’t work then I’m afraid I’ll have to give up because I’m not willing to convince iOS-using friends to register for a GitHub account :grimacing: I’m glad it worked for me when I used my Firefox account, and my Android-using friends are contributing