June 14, 2021 Add-ons Community Meeting

Hi all! The next add-ons community meeting is June 14, 2021 4:00 PM. We’ll be talking about recent happenings in the add-ons ecosystem, including Manifest v3. If you’d like to talk about your use cases for background pages (which are set to be deprecated in favor of background service workers for Mv3), please come and share!

If there’s anything you would like to discuss, please add it to the agenda.

This meeting will be streamed on Air Mozilla.

After this meeting, we’ll be taking a few weeks off for summer holidays. The next community meeting will be July 26, 2021 4:00 PM.

Regarding the “Manifest v3 wish-list” :slight_smile:, most of my problems could be solved by introducing some unlimited “in-memory” storage (like some browser.storage.memory). I think I’ve read about it somewhere recently that it’s a work in progress but I can’t find it.

Why store things in memory and not on drive?

• it doesn’t persist - so you can store there private info like decryption keys. Or you can use it for “session related” data.

• cache for the frequently accessed or/and computed resources - like when you have some huge rules list that needs to be post-processed before it can be used and it’s then used for each browser navigation / tab update, etc…

EDIT:
Found it:
Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 12-45-43 Overview of Manifest V3 - Chrome Developers

1 Like