Language translation

hi,
in future does Mozilla plans for crowd sourcing language translation with own extension (no third party)?
Thank you

can you explain better? mozilla already localize his projects.

like translating web content in pages as google translator does, data for translation is collecting from crowd source.

So you are talking about a web service to localize web pages.
I don’t think that is in the mozilla scope right now, they are working on other stuff like VR, rust, performances, mobile, send and many other things.

i got it, i thought it may be useful.
Thank you.

There are lots of Google Translate add-on for Firefox that you can use.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?q=google%20translation&sort=users

I don’t think Mozilla should get into this domain due to resources, it’s hard to implement better than Google did with the data quantity they had.

Every now and then, we think about adding content translation to Firefox.

We’d not use crowd sourcing for the translation, but machine translation (MT). Crowd sourcing would have turn-around times of hours, if not days, that seems to be too slow for the attention span of today’s readers. There’s also copy-right questions about taking the content away from the page and hosting it somewhere for translation.

As far as MT goes, I know that we looked at a few different engines, but in the experiments we did never showed that the benefit of doing it pays for the cost that comes with Mozilla paying for MT.

1 Like