Languages not supported

Somehow Thunderbird got me onto something called the “release update channel”, it is now at version 78.2.1 (32-bit).

No matter where I look, this version is in English only. I can download other Thunderbird versions but that will discard all of my email conversations.

HOW/where can I get Thunderbird to display in my native language, and keep my emails?
Please help

Try Tools, Options (or Edit, Preferences in Linux), General tab, Language
In the pull-down menu, Search for More Languages,
Select a language to add.

That sometimes works for me - it depends where I got TB from.

Are you using IMAP? If so downloading and installing a new version will not lose your emails. If you’re using POP it’s more complicated - you need to preserve your profile - but it can be done. What operating system?

Thanks for attempt at support. These results:

1. I did try (multiple times over few weeks) to retrieve languages via Tools > Options > Language > Search for More Languages. But there is never any other language than the default one (may I presume that the programmer is fluent in just one language?).

2. I cannot recollect where I downloaded current version of Thunderbird from - perhaps something called “the update channel”?

3. Using Windows 10 & POP3. I have tried, several times, to download & install other Thunderbird version while retaining all of my emails - all attempts failed.

I would very much appreciate if other languages can be supported. Even if just the main user interfaces become available in my language. No need to have each and every technical detail translated

I’m assuming the whole of TBird here, not just an addon i.e it’s all in English. There are many languages available - e.g. for 78.2.1 win32: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/78.2.1/win32/
Many addons are only available in the programmer’s native tongue - and sometimes in English too.

What should happen is you get the language depending on the ‘locale’ of the operating system. So if Windows is in Dutch, say, you get A Dutch version. Same with Firefox. But it varies, and I don’t use Windows. In my version of Linux I get American English and every other language as a ‘language pack’. That Language option is to change between language packs.

So what you want is a language pack for your language. Is there one here, and does it install?
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/language-tools/
If so you should see it in Options, Language.

Hi Dave, thanks for reply but regrettably does not solve the problem. At the addons website (thanks) there are language packs, but in my language supported just up to version 68, or so it says, and updated until year ago. Whereas my Thunderbird version is 78+

Recently I noticed that one language version besides English became available: Catalan spanish. Huh? But I am looking for Dutch… ?

Is the problem in the “Release Channel” ? I tried to get off that channel but lost all of my emails so that was a no-go.

So no solution still. What to do?

Well, I’m out of ideas.

Because this is a Thunderbird problem, rather than an add-on problem, I suggest you ask on SUMO (SUpport Mozilla Org):
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird
I’ll also see if anyone on the old nntp group understands language packs in Windows and point them here.
Good luck.

At the moment, unfortunately, language packs for Thunderbird 78, are not yet available on addons.thunderbird.net and cannot be added from Tools > Options > General > Language & Appearance > Language > Set Alternatives…

If you want to add a language pack, you can download it manually from http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/78.2.2/linux-x86_64/xpi/ and add it to the Add-ons Manager. It will show up under Languages. Once it is added, you can change to that language by going to Tools > Options > General > Language & Appearance > Language > Dutch > Toepassen en herstarten.

Even though you download it from linux-x86_64 that language pack will also work for Windows and Mac, because language packs are system independant.

YES ok it works thank you. Installing was not entirely straightforward but has turned out OK.

Perhaps good to advertise this solution for other users who get caught up in the same problem?

Thanks again and keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Hi Dave, almost simultaneously I got this message which provided the solution for me (after some technical hassle). So I’m happy, thank you for your support

Onno Ekker
September 14

At the moment, unfortunately, language packs for Thunderbird 78, are not yet available on addons.thunderbird.net and cannot be added from Tools > Options > General > Language & Appearance > Language > Set Alternatives…

If you want to add a language pack, you can download it manually from http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/78.2.2/linux-x86_64/xpi/ and add it to the Add-ons Manager. It will show up under Languages. Once it is added, you can change to that language by going to Tools > Options > General > Language & Appearance > Language > Dutch > Toepassen en herstarten.

Even though you download it from linux-x86_64 that language pack will also work for Windows and Mac, because language packs are system independant.