Linux (Pop-OS) Update Documentation for Firefox DEVELOPER edition outdated / incorrect

I am on Pop-OS and have downloaded and installed firefox developer edition (formerly aurora) under /opt/firefox. Note, the PPA for aurora is outdated and no longer works (to my knowledge).

Now firefox developer edition is saying there is an update. So I followed this link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-release
which shows how firefox should auto-update itself. However, on linux this is not the case. Instead I have to follow the link which instead of showing me the update file, only lets me download all of firefox again.

There has to be a better way to update firefox developer edition on linux, than downloading and extracting it to /opt/firefox every single time.

Hi @sumneuron. Thank you for making us aware of that - this is something that I pick up and arrange for it to be corrected.

Thank you for letting us know.

Hey @plwt. Thank you! Please let me know when it is corrected. I much prefer Firefox developer edition but have found getting it on Linux unnecessarily complicated. It would also be nice if y’all could add it to pop-shop so that it will automatically be managed by the system, than how it is now (having to download and reinstall developer edition each time there is an update)

This is most likely an issue with the folder permissions. Could you try this:

1. sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /opt/firefox
  2. Restart Firefox

You should now be able to update Firefox.

@dannycolin I already did that when I first installed Firefox. I still just get the pop up and clicking “install update” takes me to the Firefox homepage as if I am to reinstall Firefox from scratch.

What’s the output of ls -al /opt/ for the firefox directory?

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Feb 17 07:49 firefox

where firefox here is firefox developer edition

You must change the owner of the folder to your username. You said you did it but it still show that the owner is root.

Run sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /opt/firefox while logged to your user account. Do not login as root (e.g. sudo su) before.

You can also type whoami in a terminal to know your username and replace $USER with it if you prefer.