"Marking up a letter" assessment

嗨!大家好,很高兴加入这个大家庭。 :smiley:
我做了“标记信件”的测试,不知道有哪些错误,请哪位哥哥姐姐不忙了,帮帮我检查一下,非常感谢!
第一次用这个发贴,不知道怎么传代码,我贴在下面吧。

回复:韩梅梅学位申请
<address class="sender-column">
    <p><i><b>中国北京市门头沟区,102300</b></i></p>
    <p><i><b>纽臂大学 纽臂科学院</b></i></p>
     <p><i><b>李雷 教授</b></i></p>
    <p><i><strong>联系电话:123-456-7890</strong></i></p>
    <p><em><b>电子邮件:no_reply@example.com</b></em></p>
</address>

<p class="sender-column"><time datetime="2019-2-22">2019年2月22日</time></p>

<p><i><b>韩梅梅 女士</b></i></p>

<address><i><b>中国海南省三亚市亚龙湾</b></i></address>

<h1>回复:韩梅梅学位申请</h1>

<p>亲爱的韩同学:</p>

<p>感谢你申请纽臂大学科学院的哲学博士学位课程,下面我将就你的问题依次做出解答。</p>

<h2>开学日期</h2>

<p>欢迎你在任意时间来校学习,但在学期开始时来校更理想,每学期开学时间如下:</p>

<ul>
    <li>第一学期:<time datetime="2019-9-9">2019年9月9日</time></li>
    <li>第二学期:<time datetime="2020-1-15">2020年1月15日</time></li>
    <li>第三学期:<time datetime="2020-5-2">2020年5月2日</time></li>
</ul>
    <p>请告诉我你是否愿意在学期开始时来校,并告知你选择的学期。</p>
    <p>你可以在我们的网站上找到更多关于<a href="https://example.com/"> 学校重要日期 </a>的信息。</p>

<h2>学习科目</h2>

<p>纽臂科学院本着兼容并蓄的原则,课题涉及一些科技领域。欢迎有才智、态度专注的研究人员参加,也欢迎符合我们价值观的朋友加入。我们最感兴趣的课题如下(按优先度排序):</p>
<ol>
    <li>把水(H<sub>2</sub>O)转变为酒的方法,以及白藜芦醇(C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>)对健康的帮助作用。</li>
    <li>测量室温 30°C(86°F)时,观众人数呈指数级增加对放克贝斯手表演的影响(3 × 10<sup>3</sup> > 3 × 10<sup>4</sup> 效应)。</li>
    <li>使用 <abbr title="超文本标记语言">HTML</abbr> 和 <abbr title="层叠样式表">CSS</abbr> 构建乐谱。</li>
</ol>

<p>请针对上述课题提供更多的信息。包括研究时长、所需资源,以及其它未尽事宜,谢谢。</p>

<h2>异域舞蹈</h2>

<p>你说的没错!异域部落舞蹈是我博士后研究项目的一部分。为了回答你的问题,我在下面列出我个人最喜欢的舞蹈种类和相关介绍:</p>

<dl>
    <dt>波利尼西亚小鸡舞</dt>
     <dd>一种古老、神秘但影响广泛的舞蹈,可追溯至公元前 300 年,整个村庄围绕着一个小鸡形状的圈跳舞,祈祷牲畜肥美。</dd>
    <dt>冰岛布尔曳步舞</dt>
      <dd>在冰岛人学会用火取暖之前,他们之间流行着这种舞蹈,舞蹈时人们在地上拥成一个圈,用极小极快的动作晃动身体。我有一个学生说冰岛曳步舞是现代甩臀舞的鼻祖。</dd>
    <dt>北极机器人舞</dt>
      <dd>一个有趣的历史误传,二十世纪六十年代的英国探险者宣称发现了一种像“机器人跳舞”的舞蹈,这种舞蹈动作僵硬,流行于加拿大和阿拉斯加北部地区。后来人们发现这里的居民是因为天气太冷了才做出这样的动作。</dd>
  </dl>

<p>更多信息请查看我的 <a href="https://example.com/">异域舞蹈研究</a> 网页。</p>

<p>李雷 教授</p>

<p>纽臂大学校训:<q>人人皆可纽臂</q> —— <cite>诸葛中天</cite> 绅士</p>

Hello @sjmcsy

could you share your code on any online service like codepen.io so it be much better to check it and also it would be better to create new post with link to your code and link to the task

but fir what i can see that :

1. no need to wrap each line in the address by p you can get new line by using <br>
  2. no need for the italic <i> in address as address make it italic by default
  3. it better to use strong instead of b
  4. for the telephone and email you could use <a>
  5. that is part of the second address <p><i><b>韩梅梅 女士</b></i></p> of course without the p
  6. not sure if you did the 5 abbr element or not

hope i did not miss anything else and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, thank you! I’ll try.

1 Like

@justsomeone
Thank you so much!

I use the codepen.io for my “Marking up a letter” test, please Please help me to correct my mistake. Thank you so much.

sorry about my poor English spelling and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Hello @sjmcsy

you very welcome and do not be sorry english is not my first language also so we both can do mistake as we wish and hope a third person show up and be our bridge :joy:

you doing great well done here are my notice :

1. no need to use the p element inside the address so remove it

2. for the telephone and mail you can use this href atterbuite here
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/a#attr-href

and you can see a demo for how to use it here int the sample code

i know i could be not part of the task but consider it as bonus one :wink:

1. not sure if there phd and esq abbr in the chinese version of the letter or there something else but you already fond the css and html

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @justsomeone, thank you so much, have a niac day!

@sjmcsy you very welcome and thanks a lot

Hi! I finished this task! Can you review it please?
My Code

Hello @QuebecNova

you doing great well done here are my notice :

1. no need to use p inside the address just give the address the same class you give to the p and remove the p element

2. for the telephone and mail you can use this href attribute here
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/a#attr-href

and you can see a demo for how to use it here int the sample code

1. you missed the quote in this a element here <a href = example.com>

2. the quote is not a blockquote is a quote and so remove the blockquote and replace it with that

<p>University of Awesome motto: 
      <q>Be awesome to each other. -- 
            <cite>The memoirs of Bill S Preston, 
                       <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr>
            </cite>
     </q>
</p>
  1. i better for future to create your own post and put link to the task you asking about in that post

2 Likes

All done, thank you so much @justsomeone!

1 Like

you very welcome @QuebecNova

1 Like

Hi! I just finished my first project. Could someone pls give me some feedback? I will be very thankful♥

<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<title> My 1st letter on html </title>

<link href="styles-for-text.css" rel="stylesheet">

<meta name="author" content="Dr. Eleanor Gaye">

</head>

<body>

<address class="sender-column">

<strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>

Awesome Science faculty<br>

University of Awesome<br>

Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>

USA<br>

</address>

<p class="sender-column"><a href="tel:1234567890"><strong>Tel: 123-456-7890</strong></a></p>

<p class="sender-column"><a href="mailto:no_reply@example.com"><strong>Email: no_reply@example.com</strong></a></p>

<p class="sender-column"><time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time></p>

<address>

<strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>

4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>

Dover, CT9 XXX<br>

UK<br>

</address>

<h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1>

<p>Dear Eileen,</p>

<p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr lang="lt" title="Philosophiæ Doctor">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections</p>.

<h2> Starting dates</h2>

We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:

<ol>

<li>First semester: <time datetime="2016-09-09">9 September 2016</time></li>

<li>Second semester: <time datetime="2017-01-15">15 January 2017</time></li>

<li>Third semester: <time datetime="2017-05-02">2 May 2017</time></li>

</ol>

<p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>

<p>You can find more information about important university dates on our <a href="http://example.com">website</a>.</p>

<h2>Subjects of study</h2>

<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>          

<li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>

<li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30&#176;C (86&#176;F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3&#215;10<sup>3</sup> increasing to 3&#215;10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>

<li><abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>

</ol>

So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.

<h2>Exotic dance moves</h2>

<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>

<ul>

<dl>

<li><dt>Polynesian chicken dance</dt></li>

<dd>A <sub>little</sub> known but <strong>very</strong> influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".</dd>

<li><dt>Icelandic brownian shuffle</dt></li>

<dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>

<li><dt>Arctic robot dance</dt></li>

<dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>

</dl></ul>

For more of my research, see my exotic dance <a href="http://example.com">research page</a>.<br>

Yours sincerely,<br>

Dr Eleanor Gaye<br>

<footer><blockquote>University of Awesome motto: <q>Be awesome to each other.</q> -- The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></blockquote></footer>

</body>

</html>

Idk why it isn’t full but here’s the beginning

<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<title> My 1st letter on html </title>

<link href="styles-for-text.css" rel="stylesheet">

<meta name="author" content="Dr. Eleanor Gaye">

</head>

<body>

Hello @Rouse_Quarts

you doing great well done here some notice :

1. the telephone and email is part of the address so remove the p element around them and put them inside the address

2. well done for using the a element for the telephone and the email

3)i notice also you used lang tag when you used some Lithuanian for the phd

1. no need to wrap the dl inside ul and element either be next to each other or wrap each other but can not be mixed like
<ul>
<dl>
<li> \\ this is wrong cause li can not be child of dl it can be for ul or ol 
<dt> \\ this is wrong also cause dt can not be child of li

so use

<dl>
<dt></dt>
<dd></dd>
<dt></dt>
<dd></dd>
</dl>

check this for more details about dl

1. you missed to wrap for more of ... inside p element and the following 2 line should be wrapped inside p for each

2. for the footer remove the blockquote and the rest is fine

3. it’s better to create a new post in your future assist and put your code on any online service like codepen.io or others so it be easier for everyone to check it

2 Likes

Hi @justsomeone! Thanks a lot for your review! It was really nice :blush:

1. i wasn’t aware of such a sophisticated thing.
    2 and 3 thanks!
  2. okay, my mistake. But that’s good to know for the next time.
    and also thanks for the rest of your review!

(it was kinda supportive for me!)

Have a nice day too =)

2 Likes

@Rouse_Quarts you very welcome and happy coding :slight_smile:

thanks a lot ad you too :slight_smile:

Could you give me some more help please? I just finished the 2nd task about structuring but idk how to upload my project…
I don’t really understand how to use glitch for assets or how to use another sites just to upload my images there and to have a link on them.

sure no problem

1. after you create account with glitch go to dashboard
  2. go to Website section then choose Blank Website
  3. go to assets the upload the images
  4. click the image you want inside the assets click on copy url then paste this url on your src of the img element

codepen allow upload of image or files only for paid account

later when you get time you could try github which need some learning but it’s where your real project will be

and by the way when we assest we do not mind if there missing image so if you like different service like codepen or jsfiddle without upload your image it’s fine

for image you also can use link to image from different site and it will work fine

1 Like

Hello! I’ve finished my letter task. Waiting for review and feedback.

1 Like

Hi @slameb and welcome to the community :wave:

Great work on your first exercise! :medal_sports:

Here are some small improvements:

• The date isn’t part of the address. It should be wrapped in it’s own <p> with the “sender-column” class and outside <address>.
  • There’s a <br> missing after “Miss Eileen Dover” in the second address.
  • The cite attribute of <q> should only be used for an URL to the source of the quote. It’s okay to not use it here.
  • The <cite> tag should also include “The memoirs of”.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :slightly_smiling_face:
For any future exercises it would be good to create an own topic.

Have a nice day,
Michael

2 Likes