"Marking up a letter" assessment

Could someone give me some advice about my code? Thanks…

Hey! I just completed the marking up a letter assessment. Would love any feedback. Thanks!

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en-US">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">
	<meta name="author" content="Dr. Eleanor Gaye">
	<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css">
	<title>Marking Up a Letter</title>

</head>

<body>

<p class="sender-column">
	<strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
	Awesome Science faculty<br>
	University of Awesome<br>
	Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
	USA<br>
	<strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890<br>
	<strong>Email</strong>: no_reply@example.com
	</p>

<time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time>
	</p>

<p>
	<strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>
	4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
	Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
	UK
	</p>

<h1>
	Re: Eileen Dover university application
	</h1>

<p>
	Dear Eileen,
	</p>

<p>
	Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <em><abbr title="Doctor of Philosophy">PhD</abbr></em> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.
	</p>

<h2>Starting dates</h2>

<p>
	We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:
	</p>

<ul>
	<li>First semester: <time datetime="2016-09-09">9 September 2016</time></li>
	<li>Second semester: <time datetime="2017-01-15">15 January 2017</time></li>
	<li>Third semester: <time datetime="2017-05-02">2 May 2017</time></li>
	</ul>

<p>
	Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.
	</p>

<p>
	You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com" title="University of Awesome" target="_blank">important university dates</a> on our page.
	</p>

<h2>Subjects of study</h2>

<p>
	At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:
	</p>

<ol>
	<li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of <em>Resveratrol</em> (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
	<li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30&deg;C (86&deg;F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 &times; 10<sup>3</sup> increasing to 3 &times; 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
	<li><abbr title="Hyper Text Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
	</ol>

<p>
	So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.
	</p>

<h2>Exotic dance moves</h2>

<p>
	Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:
	</P>

<dl>
	<dt>Polynesian chicken dance</dt>
	<dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as <strong>300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr></strong>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be &quot;fruitful&quot;.</dd>
	<dt>Icelandic brownian shuffle</dt>
	<dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptably tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
	<dt>Arctic robot dance</dt>
	<dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterised by &quot;robotic&quot;, stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>
	</dl>

<p>
	For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com" target="_blank">exotic dance research page.</a>
	</p>

<p>
	Yours sincerely,<br>
	Dr Eleanor Gaye
	</p>

<p>
	University of Awesome motto: <q>Be awesome to each other.</q> -- <cite>Bill S Preston</cite>, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr>
	</p>

</body>

</html>

Hello @umlovingit, @luoziqing1102, @Derios,

Check your work against our version to see how well you’ve done:

Hi guys!
I just completed the “Marking up a letter” assessment.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.Thank you!:grin:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en">

<head>
        <meta charset="UTF-8">
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="ie=edge">
        <title>Re: Eileen Dover university application</title>
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/styles.css">
    </head>

<body>
            <em>
                <strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong>
                <br> Awesome Science faculty
                <br> University of Awesome
                <br> Bobtown, CA 99999,
                <br> USA
                <br>
                <strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890
                <br>
            </em>
        </p>
        </p>
        <p>
            <em>
                <strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong>
                <br> 4321 Cliff Top Edge
                <br> Dover, CT9 XXX
                <br> UK
            </em>
        </p>

<main>
            <article>
                <header><h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1></header>
                <p>Dear Eileen,</p>
                <p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part
                    of your
                    <abbr title="Philosophic Doctor">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>
                <h2>Starting dates</h2>
                <p>We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you
                    could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>
                <ul>
                    <li>First semester:
                        <time datetime="2016-09-09">9 September 2016</time>
                    </li>
                    <li>Second semester:
                        <time datetime="2017-01-15">15 January 2017</time>
                    </li>
                    <li>Third semester:
                        <time datetime="2017-05-02">2 May 2017</time>
                    </li>
                </ul>
                <p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>
                <p>You can find more information about
                    <a href="http://example.com" title="click here for more information" target="_blank">important university dates</a> on our website.</p>
                <p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall
                    somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and
                    just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most
                    intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>
                <ol>
                    <li>Turning H
                        <sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C
                        <sup>14</sup>H
                        <sup>12</sup>O
                        <sup>3</sup>.)</li>
                    <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30
                        <sup>&deg;</sup>C (86
                        <sup>&deg;</sup>F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 &times; 10
                        <sup>3</sup> &gt; 3 &times; 10
                        <sup>4</sup>.)</li>
                    <li>
                        <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and
                        <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
                </ol>
                <p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research
                    to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>
                <p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I
                    <em>did</em> study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>
                <dl>
                    <dd>A little known but
                        <em>very</em> influential dance dating back as far as 300
                        <abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock
                        or be "fruitful".</dd>
                    <dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which
                        involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptably
                        tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired
                        modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
                    <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered
                        a new dance style characterised by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern
                        Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they
                        were really cold.</dd>
                </dl>
                <p>For more of my research, see my
                    <a href="http://example.com" title="click here for more research" target="_blank">exotic dance research page</a>.</p>
                <p>Yours sincerely,</p>
                <br>
                <br>
                <br>
                <br>
                <br>
                <p>Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>
                <p>University of Awesome motto:
                    <q cite="http://example.com">Be awesome to each other.</q> --
                    <cite>Bill S Preston,
                        <abbr title="">Esq</abbr>
                    </cite>
                </p>
            </article>
        </main>
    </body>
    </html>

Hi @DanielXie!

I can’t really see your code as the HTML has been run and the output included in the discourse comment. In future, if you want to show the code rather than the result you should put all your code in between two sets of three backticks.

For example

``` then a new <strong>line</strong> then three more ```

would turn out as

then a new <strong>line</strong> then three more

In the meantime, check your work against our version to see how well you’ve done:

I got it!Thank you for your guidence!:wink:

Hi everyone, I just completed the “Marking up a letter” assessment and would appreciate some guidance/feedback. I will check it against the suggested sites too.

Thank you :slight_smile:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
	<head>
		<meta charset="utf-8">
		<title>Letter from the University</title>

<meta name="author" content="Dr Eleanor Gaye">
		<meta name="description" content="This is a letter from the University.">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="letter-improvements.css">
	</head>

<body>

<strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
	Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
	USA<br>
	<strong>Tel:</strong> 123-456-7890<br>
	<strong>Email:</strong> no_reply@example.com
</p>

</p>
<p>
	<strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>
	4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
	Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
UK</p>

<h2>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h2>

<p>
	Dear Eileen,
</p>

<p>
	Thank you for your recent application to join us at the <em>University of Awesome's</em> science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="Doctor of Philosophy">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.
</p>

<h3>Starting dates</h3>

<p>
	We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:
</p>

<ul>
	</ul>

<p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>

<p>You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com">important university dates</a> on our website.</p>

<h3>Subjects of study</h3>

<p>At the <em>Awesome Science Faculty</em>, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were <strong>most</strong> intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<p>
	<ol>
	<li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
	<li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30&deg;C (86&deg;F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 &times; 10<sup>3</sup> &gt; to 3 &times; 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
	<li><abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
</ol>
<p>
	So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.
</p>

<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>

<dl>
	<dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be "fruitful".</dd>
	<dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptably tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
	<dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterised by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>
	</dl>

<p>For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com">exotic dance research</a> page.</p>

<p>Yours sincerely,<br>
Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>

<p>University of Awesome motto: <q>Be awesome to each other.</q> -- <cite>Bill S Preston</cite>, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></p>

Hi there @tonielam. I’ve looked through your code, and it looks pretty good. I can’t see anything obviously wrong with it. Well done :wink:

Thank you for checking it over, appreciate you must be very busy!

Hello! I’ve just completed the assessment and would like to request some feedback. Thank you!

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">
    <meta name="author" content="Eleanor Gaye">
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
    <title>Application Letter</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <p class="sender-column"><strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
      Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
      <abbr title="United States of America">USA</abbr><br>
      <strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890<br>
    </p>
    <p class="sender-column"><time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time></p>
    <p><strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>
      4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
      Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
      <abbr title="United Kingdom">UK</abbr>
    </p>
    <h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1>
    <p>Dear Eileen,</p>
    <p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="Doctor of Philosophy">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>
    <h2>Starting dates</h2>
    <p>We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>
    <ul>
    </ul>
    <p>You can find more information about important university dates on <a href="http://example.com">our website</a>.</p>

<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority</p>
    <ol>
      <li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
      <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30&deg;C (86&deg;F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 &times; 10<sup>3</sup> increasing to 3 &times; 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
      <li><abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
    </ol>
    <p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>
    <p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>
    <dl>
      <dd>A little known but <em>very</em> influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be "fruitful".</dd>
      <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterised by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>
    </dl>
    <p>For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com">exotic dance research page</a>.</p>
    <p>Yours sincerely,<br><br>
      Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>
    <p>University of Awesome motto: <cite><q>Be awesome to each other.</q></cite> <em>-- Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></em></p>
  </body>
</html>

Hello again @lochyin! I’ve looked over this work too, and it looks great — nice work!

Again, feel free to look at our version in more detail if you want to look into it in more depth.

1 Like

Hello @chrisdavidmills, thank you again for giving me feedback.

Hi there,

I hope you are doing great.

Recently I have finished the MDN Learn Web - Marking a letter assignment. I would be thankful if someone could evaluate my solution of the assignment.

Thanks in advance,
Amin

Hi there @a6189863! Your solution looks great — I’ve had a look, and it seems to be all correct. Well done!

like this…

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <meta charset="UTF-8">
  <style>
    body {
      max-width: 800px;
      margin: 0 auto;
    }

.sender-column {
      text-align: right;
    }

h1 {
      font-size: 1.5em;
    }

h2 {
      font-size: 1.3em;
    }

p,ul,ol,dl,address {
      font-size: 1.1em;
    }

p, li, dd, dt, address {
      line-height: 1.5;
    }
  </style>
  <title>Document</title>
</head>
<body>
  <div class="sender-column"> 
    <pre>
      <strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong>
      <em>Awesome Science faculty</em>
      <em>University of Awesome</em>
      <em>Bobtown, CA 99999,</em>
      <abbr title="United State America">USA</abbr>
      <strong>Tel:</strong> 123-456-7890
      <strong>Email:</strong> no_reply@example.com
    </pre>
  </div>
  <div>  
    <pre>
      <strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong>
      4321 Cliff Top Edge
      Dover, CT9 XXX
      <abbr title="United Kingdom">UK</abbr>
    </pre>
  </div>

<p>Dear Eileen,</p>

<p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="Phd degree">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>
    <h2>Starting dates</h2>

<p>We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>
    <ul>
    </ul>

<p>You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com">important university dates</a> on our website.</p>

<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>
      <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 ✖ 10<sup>3</sup> &gt; 3 ✖ 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
      <li><abbr title="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
    </ol>

<p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>

<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I <em>did</em> study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>
    <dl>
      <dd>A little known but <em>very</em> influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be "fruitful".</dd>
    </dl>
    <p>For more of my research, see my exotic dance <a href="http://exmaple.com">research page.</a></p>

<p>
      Yours sincerely,
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      Dr Eleanor Gaye
    </p>
    <p>
      University of Awesome motto: <q cite="http://exmaple.com">Be awesome to each other.</q> -- Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

Hello @ulricaarch; I have had a look at your code, and it looks pretty much correct; well done on some great work.

Feel free to look at our version if you want to mark it in more depth:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <meta name="author" content="Dr.Eleanor Gaye">
    <title>letter</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/style1.css" type="text/css">
</head>
<body>
    <p class="sender-column"><em><strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
    Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
    USA<br>
    <strong>Tel:</strong>123-456-7890<br>
    <strong>Email:</strong>no_reply@example.com<br>
    </em><br>
    <time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time></p>
    <p><em><strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>
    4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
    Dover,CT9 XXX<br>
    UK</em></p>
    <p>Dear Eileen,</p>
    <p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <u><abbr title="PHD">PhD</abbr></u> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>
    <h2>Starting dates</h2>
    <ul>
        <li>First semester:<time datetime="2016-09-09">9 September 2016</time></li>
        <li>Second semester:<time datetime="2017-01-15">15 January 2017</time></li>
        <li>Third semester:<time datetime="2017-05-02">2 May 2017</time></li>
    </ul>
    <p>You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com"><u>important university dates</u></a> on our website.</p>
    <p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>
    <ol>
        <li>Turning H <sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
        <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30<sup>o</sup>C(86<sup>o</sup>F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 x 10<sub>3</sub> increasing to 3 x 10<sub>4</sub>.)</li>
        <li><abbr title="Hypertext Markup Language"><u>HTML</u></abbr> and <abbr title=CascadingStyleSheets"><u>CSS</u></abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
    </ol>
    <p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I <em>did</em> study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>
    <dl>
        <dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300BC, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be "fruitful".</dd>
    </dl>
    <p>For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com"><u>exotic dance research page.</u></a></p>
    <p>Yours sincerely.</p>
    <br>
    <br>
    <p>Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>
    <p>University of Awesome motto:"Be excellent to each other."--<em>Bill S Preston, Esq</em></p>
</body>
</html>

Hello @928663676! Thanks for the submission. I have looked through it, and have a few points to bring up, but it certainly is a good attempt.

1. You needed to apply the CSS supplied in the assessment to your HTML page, to make everything appear correctly.
  2. You have missed out an opening quote in this part — <abbr title=CascadingStyleSheets">. This has made some of the code after it go a bit funny, although it mostly displays OK.
  3. You don’t need <u> elements; the <abbr> elements provide an underlining hint automatically anyway.

I think that’s all I really had to comment on. Well done!

Again, feel free to look at our version in more detail if you want to look into it in more depth.

Thank you very much for your review, I will carefully correct these errors.

Could you give me a feedback? I am new to html, glad to see you here.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
        <head>
                <link href="./letter.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                <meta charset="UTF-8">
        </head>
        <body>
                <div class="sender-column">
                        <i>
                                <strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong></br>
                Awesome Science faculty</br>
                University of Awesome</br>
                Bobtown, CA 99999,</br>
                USA</br>
                <strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890</br>
                <strong>Email</strong>: no_reply@example.com</br>
                        </i>

20 January 2016</br>
                </div>

<strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong></br>
                4321 Cliff Top Edge</br>
                Dover, CT9 XXX</br>
                UK</br>

<h1><strong>Re: Eileen Dover university application</strong></h1>

<p>Dear Eileen,</p>

<p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University
                of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your PhD next year. I
                will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>
                <h2>Starting dates</h2>

<p>We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any
                time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the
                beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as
                follows:</p>

<ul>
                        <li>First semester: 9 September 2016</li>
                        <li>Second semester: 15 January 2017</li>
                        <li>Third semester: 2 May 2017</li>
                </ul>

Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.

You can find more information about <address>important university
                        dates</address> on our website.

<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded
                research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm
                of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated
                researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team.
                Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are
                as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>
                        <li>Turning H2O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol
                                (C14H12O3.)</li>
                        <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at
                                temperatures exceeding 30oC (86oF), when the audience size
                                exponentially increases (effect of 3 x 103 increasing to 3 x
                                104.)</li>
                        <li>HTML and CSS constructs for representing musical scores.</li>

<p>So please can you provide more information on each of these
                        subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take,
                        required staff and other resources, and anything else you think
                        we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>
                </ol>

<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did
                        study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite
                        dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>

<dl>
                                <dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as
                                far as 300BC, a whole village would dance around in a circle
                                like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be
                                "fruitful".</dd>
                                <dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting
                                warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling
                                close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their
                                bodies around in imperceptably tiny, very rapid movements. One
                                of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance
                                inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
                                <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English
                                explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance
                                style characterised by "robotic", stilted movements, being
                                practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later
                                on however it was discovered that they were just moving like
                                this because they were really cold.</dd>

<p>For more of my research, see my <address>exotic dance research
                                page.</address></p>

<p>Yours sincerely,</p>
                                <footer>
                Dr Eleanor Gaye

University of Awesome motto: "Be awesome to each other." -- <i>Bill S
                Preston, Esq</i>
                                </footer>
        </body>
</html>