"Marking up a letter" assessment

@tushar9604 this one is also perfect — well done!

@chrisdavidmills Thanks for your feedback. I was able to do it because of the easy to understand and very helpful tutorials, you and your team published on mdn.

Marking up a letter
<p class="sender-column"><strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>		
	Awesome Science faculty<br>
	Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
	USA<br>
	<strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890<br>
	<strong>Email</strong>: no_reply@example.com<br><br>

<time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time>
</p>

<p><strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>
	4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
	Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
UK</p>

<h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1>
<p>Dear Eileen,</p>
<p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="postgraduate doctoral degree">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>

<h2>Starting dates</h2>
<p>We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>

<ul>
	<li>First semester: <time datetime="2016-09-09">9 September 2016</time></li>
	<li>Second semester: <time datetime="2017-01-15">15 January 2017</time></li>
	<li>Third semester: <time datetime="2017-05-02">2 May 2017</time></li>
</ul>

<p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>

<p>You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com"> important university dates
</a>  on our website.</p>

<h2>Subjects of study</h2>
<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>
	<li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol 
	(C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
	<li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 × 10<sup>3</sup> increasing to 3 × 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
	<li><abbr title="hypertext markup language">HTML</abbr> and 
	<abbr title="cascading style sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
</ol>

<p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>

<h2>Exotic dance moves</h2>
<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>

<dl>
	<dt>Polynesian chicken dance</dt>
	<dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300
	<abbr title="before christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village  would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".
	</dd>

<dt>Icelandic brownian shuffle</dt>
	<dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>

<dt>Arctic robot dance</dt>
	<dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>
</dl>

<p>For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com">exotic dance research page</a>.</p>

<p>Yours sincerely,</p>
<p>Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>

<p>University of Awesome motto:<q>Be awesome to each other</q>." -- <cite>The memoirs</cite> 
<em>of Bill S Preston</em>,<abbr title="esquire"><em>Esq</em></abbr></p>

Hi there @deyanveljkovic,

Thanks for sending in your assessment code! I’ve had a look, and your work looks pretty much perfect. The only small thing I picked up on was that the <cite>element needs to be around the whole book title name, e.g.

<cite>The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></cite>

But that’s a fairly minor issue.

Well done!

Thank you very much for feedback

Hi, i finished letter assigment, can you check my work? thank you

https://github.com/Zupi-HR/MDN-tutorials/blob/master/index.html

Hi there @Zupi-HR,

Thanks for submitting your code. I have had a look, and the only thing I can see that you didn’t do in your code that we have in ours is that we’ve got an <abbr> element on “PhD” to provide its expansion.

But this is only a minor point — overall you’ve done really well here; well done on the great work!

Hello, I just finished the assessment can you please check it out? Thank You!

Hi there @devplatano, and thanks for sending in your code.

Looking at this, it seems to do its job very well. Congratulations on some good work. There are just a few small bits to point out, but nothing major:

• The following line has an unneeded <br> tag in it, which is causing an unecessary linebreak — UK <br>
  • The spaces before the dates in the following list should all be before the opening <time> tag, not inside it:
<ul>
  <li>First semester:<time datetime="2016-09-09"> 9 September 2016</time></li>
  <li>Second semester:<time datetime="2017-01-15"> 15 January 2017</time></li>
</ul>
  • Unneeded space before the comma in here — 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr> ,
  • Unneeded space after the opening <a> tag here — see <a href="http://example.com" title="Exotic Dance Research"> my exotic dance research page</a>
  • Probably needs a space before the opening <abbr> tag — <em>Bill S Preston,<abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr>

Hi @chrisdavidmills, thank you so much for your feedback !!!

Hello, can someone check out my assessment? Thank you!

Hi there @syon04; welcome to the community, and thanks for sending in your assessment code.

You’ve done some good work here, but there are a few things that you need to improve on. I’d advise you to check your version against our source code: https://github.com/mdn/learning-area/blob/master/html/introduction-to-html/marking-up-a-letter-finished/index.html

A few things I noticed:

• You are using a lot of sets of double <br> tags (i.e. <br><br>) to create breaks between paragraphs. This is not good semantic HTML, and instead you need to wrap separate paragraphs in <p> elements (i.e. <p> ... </p>). <br> tags should only be used to create a single break in a line of text purely for visual formatting purposes, e.g. in the addresses.
  • “H2O” -> the “2” is missing a <sub> element.
  • <em>-- The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Eqsuire">Esq</abbr></em> — small typo, plus the <em> in this case should be a <cite> as the book name is a citation source.

Hi @chrisdavidmills; thank you for taking the time to check my work! This will help me focus on what I need to work on.

@syon04 You are welcome! Keep going and don’t give up — you are going in the right direction.

Hello,
Can someone help me figure out if this is correct ? Thank you.

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css">
  <meta name="author" content="Eleanor Gaye">
  <title>Eileen Dover University Application</title>
  </head>

<body>

<p class="sender-column">
    <strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
    University of Awesome<br>
    Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
    USA<br>
    <strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890<br>
    <strong>Email</strong>: no_reply@example.com</p>

<time datetime="2016-01-20" class="sender-column">20 January 2016</time>

4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
    Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
      UK</p>

<p>Dear <strong>Eileen</strong>,</p>

<p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="Philosophiae Doctor">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>

<h2>Starting dates</h2>

<p>We are <em>happy</em> to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the <em><strong>beginning</strong> of a semester</em>; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>

<ul>
    </ul>

<p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>

<p>You can find more information about <a href="www.example.com" title="Find our important university dates">important university dates</a> on our website.</p>

<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty <strong>open-minded</strong> research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an <em>intelligent</em>, <em>dedicated</em> researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>
      <li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
    <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 × 10<sup>3</sup> increasing to 3 × 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
      <li><abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>

</ol>

<p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>

<dl>
    <dt>Exotic dance moves</dt>

<dd>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study <em>exotic tribal dances</em>. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</dd>

<dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".</dd>
    <dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
    <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd></dl>

<p>For more of my research, see my <a href="www.example.com" title="Research on exotic dance"> exotic dance research page</a>.</p>

<p>Yours sincerely,</p>
    <p>Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>

<address><p>University of Awesome motto: "<q>Be awesome to each other.</q>" -- The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></p></address>

</body>

</html>

Hi there @per0xyde,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for submitting your assessment code. I am happy to say that this looks really good — you have got nearly everything perfect. the only thing I noticed was that you didn’t mark up the book title in the motto line at the bottom as a <cite> element, to specify that it is the book the quote comes from.

the line should look more like this:

<p>University of Awesome motto: <q>Be excellent to each other.</q> -- <cite>The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></cite></p>

But that was the only thing. Really good work apart from that.

1 Like

It’s very encouraging, thank you very much for the review !

Resumen
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en-US">

<head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset="utf-8">

<meta name="author" content="Eleanor Gaye">

<title>Letter</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">

</head>

<body>

<p><strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong>
<a class="sender-column">Awesome Science faculty
University of Awesome
Bobtown, CA 99999,
USA</a>
<strong>Tel: 123-456-7890</strong>
<strong>Email: no_reply@example.com</strong></p>

<a class="sender-column"><time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time></a>

<p><strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong>
4321 Cliff Top Edge
Dover, CT9 XXX
UK</p>

<p>Dear Eileen,</p>

<p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="Doctor of Philosophy">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>

<h2>Starting dates</h2>

<p>We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at <em>the beginning of a semester</em>; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>

<ul>
</ul>
<p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which <em>start date you would prefer.</em></p>

<p>You can find more information about important university dates on our <a href="http://example.com">website</a>.</p>

<p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p>

<ol>
<li>Turning H<sup>2</sup>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sup>14</sup>H<sup>12</sup>O<sup>3</sup>.)</li>
<li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 × 103 increasing to 3 × 104.)</li>
<li><abbr title="Hyper Text Markup Language">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
</ol>

<p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>
<dl>
<dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as <abbr title="300 Before Christ">300BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".</dd>
<dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the <abbr title="Nineteen-sixties">1960s</abbr> believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>

<p>For more of my research, see my <a href="http://example.com">exotic dance research page</a>.</p>

<p>Yours sincerely,
Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>

<p>University of Awesome motto: <i>"Be awesome to each other."</i> -- The memoirs of Bill S Preston, Esq</p>
  </body>
</html>

Can someone evaluate my html ?, thank you very much

Hi, I’m at the end of reading ‘Introduction to HTML’. I now currently doing the assessment!

Anyone would like to have a look at my markup and give feedback on what could be improve upon.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en" dir="ltr">

<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
  <meta name="author" content="Dr. Eleanor Gaye">
  <meta name="description" content="Markup assessment">
  <!-- Disable any APIs from opening or calling any telephone Number reference(s)
    because the references used are placeholders -->
  <meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no">
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css">
  <title>Letter text</title>
</head>

<body>
  <div class="sender-column">
    <address>
      <p><strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
        University of Awesome<br>
        Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
        USA<br>
        Tel: <a href="tel:123-456-7890">123-456-7890</a><br>
        Email: <a href="mailto:no_reply@example.com">no_reply@example.com</a></p>
    </address><br>

<p><time datetime="2016-01-20">20 January 2016</time></p>
  </div> <!-- end of .sender-column -->

<section>
      4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
      Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
      UK</p>
  </section> <!-- end of section -->

<section>
    <p>Dear Eileen,<br><br>

Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your <abbr title="Doctor of Philosphy">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following
      sections.</p>

<h2>Starting dates</h2>

<section>
    <p>We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p><br>

<ul>
        <li>Second semester: <time datetime="2017-01-15"></time>15 January 2017</li>
      </ul>

<p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.<br><br>

You can find more information about <a href="#">important university dates</a> on our website.</p><br>

<section>
    <p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person
      we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:</p><br>

<ol>
      <li>Turning H2O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C14H12O3.)</li>
      <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 × 103 increasing to 3 × 104.)</li>
      <li>HTML and CSS constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
    </ol>

<p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p><br>

<section>
    <p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I <em>did</em> study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p><br>

<dl>
        <dd>A little known but <em>very</em> influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".</dd>
        <dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly tiny, very rapid
          movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
        <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada.
          Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.</dd>
      </dl>

<p>For more of my research, see my <a href="#">exotic dance research page</a>.<br><br>

Yours sincerely,<br><br>

Dr Eleanor Gaye<br><br>

University of Awesome motto: <q cite="#">Be awesome to each other.</q> -- <cite>The memoirs of <em>Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></em></cite></p>

</body>

</html>

Thanks in advanced too~!

Hi @UnorthodoxThing, thanks for sending in your code!

Looking at this, it is mostly really good. You have marked up the differrent features inside the paragraphs well. I did notice a few that were missing:

• You’ve missed marking up subscript letters with <sub> elements, on H20 and C14H12O3.
  • You’ve not given HTML and CSS expansions via <abbr> elements.

Also:

• There are quite a few unnecessary <br> elements. All separate paragraphs should be separated by enclosing them in <p> elements. The only place where <br> tags are needed is to break the address onto separate lines inside the addresses.
  • The <section> elements are not really necessary in this letter, but they are generally OK. You should probably put the headings for each section inside the section, not above it, for example <h2>Starting dates</h2>, <h2>Subjects of study</h2>
  • The <meta name="format-detection"> is kinda interesting, and I can see why you’ve used it. Is this an iOS-only thing?

Apart from that, your work looks fine. Congratulations!

1 Like