Mozilla webthings registration server

you can’t use google as email sender since you can’T specify port you should open an issue : https://github.com/WebThingsIO/registration_server/issues

and ask for an option to specify the port and protocol like specified in this topics:

as far as i get in the source, you have to choose an e-mail provider(smtp server) on port 25

im currently trying 587 to see if that might work. I have to rebuild the gateway every time i request a subdomain because it goes right to the instance rather than trying to make a new subdomain

A warkaround could be to set your own local smtp relay that will resend to google

this could help you : https://kifarunix.com/configure-postfix-to-use-gmail-smtp-on-ubuntu-20-04/

587 wont’ work except if you change the source code

BTW: i have opened an issue for this on github, so maybe it will be fix in futur release

I am under the impression that Google is attempting to deprecate USER/PASS authentication and email clients that use this method will stop working in the future. Viewing Google’s security options, you can re-enable “old/insecure” authentication which I had to do once before after they automatically “secured” that option for me breaking my email clients. Google keeps stating in emails to me that this option will/could be eliminated in the future.

Not sure if this will eventually bite email clients like this application in the ass too… Just a thought.

I think this is probably the fix you need @c_anon. The webthings.io instance of the registration server is actually using “smtp.gmail.com” as an outgoing email server so I don’t think the port is the issue. Google documentation only seems to say to use port 465 “if your client begins with plain text before issuing the STARTTLS command.”

The only other difference I can see is that we’re using a Google Workspace account whereas yours looks like a personal GMail account, but as far as I know they use the same SMTP server. If you can’t enable username/password SMTP authentication on your personal GMail account, another option may be setting an app-specific password.

Hope this helps.