MV3 background scripts vs serviceworkers - MS/Edge didn't get the memo?

I was happy when I learned about the initiative to make it possible declare both background.script and background.service_worker in your webextension manifest.json file, and let the browser choose which to use.

But somehow I missed only Mozilla/Firefox, Google/Chrome and Apple/Safari was part of that agreement, which I just learned the hard way when trying to update my Flickr Fixr webextension in Microsoft’s Edge Add-ons webstore with a new “cross-browser MV3 version”.

Was Microsoft “not invited”, or did they just not want to participate in the initiative?

Maybe @Edward_Sullivan, @dotproto or other AMO/addon people have a comment before I try ask Microsoft about their plans?

Once the new version is (hopefully) approved in Chrome webstore, it might be possible for Edge users to install from there instead(?) But I already have a lot of Edge users, and wonder how to tell them?.. (Actually Edge looks like the most successful browser when it comes to number of Flickr Fixr users according to the various statistic-services in the webstores).

1 Like

I created a bug on issue:

2 Likes

hey @stig. I am pretty certain this was driven through the WECG and thus was open to any browser vendor.

3 Likes

From feedback it sounds like MS is already working on a fix.

3 Likes