Need help getting started

I’ve been struggling with the incomplete documentation for WebExtensions for several days. I’ve posted on support forums but no one answers. I think there are very few experts in WebExtensions and I want to encourage them to share their knowledge. How to avoid “dead object” error messages? Which functions return Promises and which are synchronous?

I’d like to post some of my buggy code, but what do experts prefer: lots of code that doesn’t work, or just a simple test case where adding some new code generates an error message? I have tried both approaches on the Stack Overflow forum, but gotten NO responses.

Can anyone please help? I’m stuck solid: nothing I try works, except for the standard published examples, which don’t do exactly what I need in my password manager.

Really depends on where you are getting them. Have you checked out https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Debugging though?

Also, the documentation usually mentions if something returns a promise or doesn’t, but expect everything to return a promise, there’s very few functions that don’t.

A minimal example is always the best.

Thank you for welcoming me here. I am looking forward to finally making some progress. I will try to post only minimal code.

I have posted my first thread, concerning a sequence of promises, and I will post more problems that I have encountered as I try to construct minimal cases out of my medium-sized buggy code.

I thank everyone in advance. Happy holidays to all.

1 Like