New ro Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird

I’m new to them all as will quickly become obvious.I’m 76 years old, though still tech-friendly.

My queries could not be more basic and I’m confused by your use of tech-buzz words, Initials etc.

Regarding donations - I have a suggestion!

Ask members - particularly new ones like me - to lodge some money, say, $10, into a Mozilla account and each question, however basic, from me can be deducted from this account @ $2 per question.

Have you guys any idea just how frustrating it is, for a newbie like me, to know that there’s a lot of help from fellow members but, through inability or ignorance, I can’t do so!

James
beltupbaby@gnail.com

1 Like

Hey there!

I really like your donation idea! But I find the $2 per question rate a bit high. How about $1? Because many people here are volunteering to Mozilla because of Mozilla’s impact and goals to create a better, and safer tech environment and not because of money.

Everyone keeps learning every day, no matter how old or young that person is. You can help develop a better Mozilla community just by encouraging everyone and giving feedback!

Kind regards,

Bithiah

Thanks, Bithiah, especially for your speedy reply.

The Mozilla mission is indeed noble and praise-worthy is this commercially, profit-motivated and profit-seeking world. As I reflect on my own mindset my over-riding feeling, as a complete ignoramus, is of extreme frustration, bordering on annoyance and resignation, simply because I can’t interpret the help these volunteers are offering so generously and, presently, for free. They talk a tech-laden language, full of buzz words, initials etc which the beginner, like me, does not understand.
It is comforting that you say “everyone keeps learning every day” but, for me, the trick is for the volunteer to btiong himself/herself down to the level of the willing student. For example, have Mozilla thought about how to better improve this communication, like use uTube.
I reiterate, and striongly feel, that peopole like me, dying to learn, would be happy to pay, as I described, to learn.
James

Hi James!

I understand what you mean. For example I am currently learning through Codecademy
(https://codecademy.com/) with a premium membership so I can get more materials and resources. Nowadays getting materials to learn from is very easy unlike 50 years ago.

I’ve found the perfect tutorial for you to learn more about Firefox and the great part about it is that it is for complete beginners :

Do check it out, I think you would find it very useful.

Kind regards,

Bithiah

Many thanks, Bithiah.

We Mozilla friends stick together!

I really appreciate this steer.

James

Thanks, Bithiah, but on further examination and investigation I feel codecademy.com is not for Thunderbird beginners and developer.mozilla.org has 71 queries about Thunderbird customisation!How many more are out there which are not documented?

I’m just flabbergasted that Mozilla/Firefox hasn’t offered basic courses, which I’m sure students would be only too glad to pay for, to satisfy their curiosity and strong wish to learn.

You’re obviously young and therefore more amenable and more adaptable to changing tech times. But should oldies, like me, be “thrust aside”???

Have you any influence in Mozilla?

James

Have you any influence, Bithiah, on Mozillla, and, if so, maybe you can get this idea some traction?

Surely it would be a win;win situation for everyone!

James

Mhmmm, I see how the courses/tutorials Mozilla has offered are a bit advanced and do require a little bit of experience. Well I can try posting this problem of yours on Matrix. Currently most people chat there so it will sure get a lot of attention.

For how to join the Mozilla matrix chat see :

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Matrix

And I as I said eariler, I will try to talk with some of the other contributors and moderators about this.

Willing to help!

Bithiah

Many thanks again, Bithiah.

James

1 Like

Hey there!

I did inform the other contributors and moderators but I have not yet gotten a reply. Hope your idea gets implemented! :slight_smile:

Bithiah