Non-native speaker recordings

It would be helpful to have a note for people who speak English as a foreign language wether their recording is welcome or not and why.
(And if not, allow them to indicate their native language in addition to entering their e-mail address so they can be invited back when their language comes up)

If you follow the path laid out by the sidebar, i.e. Home > Speak > Listen > Profile, you record sentences before reaching the “Your English accent” part in the profile section.
In that section there’s no option to mark your native language in addition to your accent. As a non-native speaker, this left me wondering whether I should not have recorded anything in the first place - so probably other non-native speakers will wonder about that as well.

3 Likes

Agreed. This is something we are also discussing on github, and we will fix soon.

1 Like

Classifying contributions by accent is one way to classify recordings. Another is by what parts of the recording are difficult for the listener to understand. For example, missing ‘s’-es at the end of words are difficult for to some English listeners, but not for others. These difficulties may not map cleanly onto national or accent boundaries. The more variety in voices in the sample and the ears of the validators, the richer the database would be.

1 Like

FAQ says:

I am a non-native English speaker and I speak with an accent, do you still want my voice?

Yes, we definitely want your voice! Part of the aim of Common Voice is to gather as many different 
accents as possible, so that computers can better understand everyone when they speak.

But the Demographic Data dropdown in the profile page has only entries for native speakers.

So you’d need a diffent choices like native german, spanish, chinese, …

1 Like