Official Mozilla presence on Mastodon

I didn’t find a better place to ask, so sorry for a potential off-topic.

Does Mozilla plan to establish official presence in the Mastodon network? For those who haven’t heard it, it’s very similar to Twitter, but open-source and and decentralized with all pros and cons. I see a significant number of people creating accounts there as well and I would like to create one for our local community, however I don’t know which instance would Mozilla go for, if they join, or if there will be a dedicated instance for Mozilla?

1 Like

I doubt that we have any plan for now. But I’m tagging @mhoye who might have a better answer to that question.

2 Likes

If you need information and experience about Mastodon, the French community is on this social media for a while now. @Mozilla@mamot.fr (Mastodon instance managed by a French organization which defends fundamental freedoms in the digital world).

2 Likes

We did look into this a few years ago. There were a few different issues, one of which is that it broadens the surface area that we have to maintain beyond the already broad area we have at present.

2 Likes

Maybe it is time to revisit if you want to focus on Mastodon instead of Twitter given the issues on Twitter recently?
I am a long-time Firefox and Pocket user, I think I’ve been on the top 1% of Pocket readers (and a subscriber) for a few years now, and I just got my end-of-year: “You are in top 1% of Pocket readers” email again, and it had a link to “share that” on Facebook and Twitter (neither of which I use, due to issues with privacy, security and overall issues with corporate social media). But I use Mastodon, and I’d share it there… but there didn’t seem to be a good way to do that. I’m sure I’m not the only one running into that this year…

I agree @eliasfallon, the way things are turning out, maybe it’s time to do a switch or at least replicate the Mozilla Twitter accounts on Mastodon. Thunderbird already started doing it :wink:
You can vote for it here also https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/mastodon-server-hosted-by-mozilla/idi-p/4263

And dream come true :wink: https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/mozilla-launch-fediverse-instance-social-media-alternative/

1 Like