PageAction.setIcon on Firefox for Android

Hi,
I am trying to build an addon for firefox which displays a Identicon next to the URL which is based on the hostname.
See here: https://github.com/thigg/firefox-url-identicons

While it works fine with Firefox on Desktops, there seems to be no way to do something similar on Firefox for Android, because the setIcon method is not supported at all.

1. What are the reasons, that this function is not available on mobile devices?
  2. Are there any other ways, to display something next to the URL on mobile devices, which is created programmatically and not loaded from a file?
  3. Are there any plans, to enable the setIcon method on Firefox for Android in the Future?

Possibly, but not the close future for sure, since Firefox for Android seems to be in “Maintenance Mode”.

What is that mean? And why? And is that for all features or just webextension API?

I’m planning to add support for Android in my add-on which will require quite an effort so I hope it will be worth the time.

1 Like

I can’t speak for others, but to me “maintenance mode” means security and bug fixes will happen but no new features will be added. Most likely because other priorities have taken precedence.