Popup windows sometimes takes longer to populate

I’m creating a FF extension, but the GUI SOMETIMES takes a little long to load. The extension only has a popup with 2 buttons. 80% of the time as soon as you click on the toolbar button the popup buttons show instantly. Every once in a while the main page (the border around the whole popup) loads but one or both of the buttons don’t show. Several seconds later the buttons appear (sometimes I am placing my mouse pointer in the empty spot, not sure if that is causing the button to draw, or it is just taking longer to show on it’s own).

Doesn’t appear to matter if the extension is previously loaded or it is the first time since FF was launched.

I have reproduced this on both a PC and Mac with several versions of FF 60+.

Main HTML
(I HAVE REPLACED POINTY BRACKETS WITH ROUND ONES FOR THIS POST AS IT IS EATING THE HTML WHEN I POST IT):
(!DOCTYPE html)

(html)
(head)
(meta charset=“utf-8”)
(link rel=“stylesheet” href=“style.css”/)
(/head)

(body)
(div class=“buttonBorder”)
(button class=“button” id=“B1”)B1(/button)
(button class=“button” id=“B2”)B2(/button)
(div class=“status”)(/div)
(/div)
(script src=“script.js”)(/script)
(/body)

(/html)

STYLE.CSS
html, body {
width: auto;
overflow: hidden;
}

.buttonBorder {
padding: 2px;
border: 3px solid white;
cursor: default;
}

.button {
padding: 4px;
font-size: 1em;
display:width:100%;
text-align: center;
border: 1px solid black;
cursor: default;
}

.button:hover {
background-color: #CCCCCC;
}

.status {
display: none;
padding: 4px;
font-size: 1em;
cursor: none;

}

}

This sounds like a popup painting issue or potentially inconsistencies in disk read speeds.

P.S.: You can have html etc. nicely formatted by putting them in a code block (the </> button in the editor, or using markdown code blocks).

This behavior is on several machines, several very new and clean, so I don’t think it is a disk read issue.

So it it not my code? I don’t see this happening with any other extensions I am using.

Funny, now I see the formatting tool on top of the editor. Looked for it but didn’t see them before - probably me!

It’s not just your extension. I’ve seen this happen to other extensions, also. The popup will be completely white and if I move the mouse around the popup, parts of the popup will then start to display. The ‘Tab Unloader’ and ‘Tab Reloader(page auto refresh)’ extensions are ones that I have installed that behave like this. I have my own extension and I remember removing some radio buttons in my popup and then the popup started not always displaying. I put the radio buttons back and it has loaded perfectly ever since.

I’ve noticed on the popups that have problems, if I click my mouse button as fast as possible on the icon, then the popup will always display. If I do a slightly slower click on the icon, that is when I get the white popup.

I have the same problem, I’m upgrading my popup window and now I have some clear paint issues, but only in Firefox, not Chrome. And I’ve noticed some random paint problems in other add-ons as well (I think “I don’t care about cookies” add-on can load completely white). Someone should probably report it.

It’s already being tracked, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1416505 (and there’s many similar bugs for more specific cases, too)

1 Like