Porting to Mac platform with homebrew of pip3

Hi guys, first of all, thank you for this wonderful piece of open source work at Mozilla. I like it so much that I would like to port the entire stack to homebrew on Mac without using a virtual machine or docker instance on Mac. I believe in principle that would be pretty straight forward but I was wondering if the architects of the repo have any insights that might cause problems in porting to MacOS? Thank you! Shyamal

I ran the sudo pip3 install -U TTS and it doesn’t work. Thanks!

shyamalchandra@Shyamals-iMac TTS % sudo pip3 install -U TTS

WARNING: The directory ‘/Users/shyamalchandra/Library/Caches/pip’ or its parent directory is not owned or is not writable by the current user. The cache has been disabled. Check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you should use sudo’s -H flag.

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement TTS (from versions: none)

ERROR: No matching distribution found for TTS

1 Like

There is simply no pre-built version of TTS for MacOS. You can try to clone TTS from Github and build/run TTS from there. I did this succesfully some time ago (more than one year), probably now there are some dependencies that can not be resolved on MacOS.

Hi, I tried that but got many error messages. Do you want me to attach them here or do you not like to support MacOS?

Did a quick test with coqui-tts (fork of former Mozilla-TTS developers). Manual setup failed with “#error architecture not supported” caused by Waveglow-extension. I disabled Waveglow extension by replacing line 62 in setup.py with exts = []. After that setup completed succesfully and tts --text "this is a test" works fine. (Please note that models using WaveGlow will not work.)