[Post] Translate the web easily with a browser extension

New post: Translate the web easily with a browser extension

This is the first in a series of posts we’ll be publishing directly on AMO. This is a new site feature we’re trying out, so any feedback you have on them is very much welcome. These posts are more user-facing than our usual Add-ons Blog posts, and as you can see there are some fancy features like being able to install add-ons directly from the posts.

We hope you like them! If you do, please share them around. It’s extremely useful for nascent content like this one.

3 Likes

Can you say more about what the new feature is and what the goals of it are? Is it the ability to embed install links we’re looking at or blogging about categories of add-ons? Something else?

The new feature is an editorial channel that lives on AMO. The current Add-ons Blog lives on blog.mozilla.org/addons/ and it’s more focused on community topics. This new channel will be user-facing, focusing on add-on reviews, with the goal of making them more accessible to users.

The ability to install directly from the article is a great side effect of having the new content directly on AMO instead of a separate domain :slight_smile:.

We’re interested in your thoughts on the content and design of this new feature. There are more posts coming up soon.

1 Like

That’s great, thanks. I appreciate Mozilla trying to generate community around add-ons like this.

I do admit though as I was reading I was constantly thinking something like:

Great, but I won’t trust these on every domain, no way.

I did see one add-on had the “recommended” badge, but it feels like if add-ons are being actually featured on this blog — by mozilla — then the “Recommended” add-on program needs to be expanded so that all the add-ons on the blog are vetted. I’m actually a bit surprised Mozilla would feature add-ons like this if those add-ons might in fact be nefarious.

Sorry. This is a frustration I have with the “Recommended” add-on program. It has done a great job educating folks that most add-ons shouldn’t be trusted, but it has left add-ons like mine (and most of the ones in this post) swinging in the wind, without the coveted “Recommended” badge, and without a pathway for getting it.

So, I guess what I’d say is, yes, great blog post, cool that Mozilla is pushing add-ons. I appreciate that. But if Mozilla is going to do something like this, it should only include “Recommended” add-ons OR at the very least it should note who the author is of the add-on. Is it an organization? Are they trusted in the community? Etc.

I feel like mozilla painted itself into a corner: You want to recommend add-ons on the blog, but you can’t ethically do so because they’re literally not “Recommended” via badges. Meanwhile, there’s no way to get those badges. I guess I’m glad mozilla is sharing the pain of add-on authors on this point, finally. We want to recommend our add-ons — obviously — but struggle to do so, since you won’t.

(I also couldn’t help thinking, dang, I wish Mozilla would just offer translation properly, like Chrome does, but I’m sure that’s a whole other thing.)

All add-ons in these new posts have been vetted and should be safe to use (at least as safe as Recommended add-ons are). The Recommended add-ons program is meant to be a longer term commitment for developers, and content can be cycled in and out to keep it fresh, so it didn’t quite fit our needs for these posts.

I get where you’re coming from about badge availability, but that is tied to how much time we can invest keeping close track of all the add-ons involved. It’s a significant effort and we also need to spend a lot of time on other things.

Yep. I know it’s a money/time/scaling/etc thing, and I remember the terrible times when it’d take 30 days (or more!) to get a one-line bug fix passed through the review queue.

I just feel like we shouldn’t lose sight of how the current approach affects things like this blog post. It’s hard to read this post without remembering that extensions aren’t safe without the badge (that’s the point of the badge, right?). If these add-ons are vetted for the blog post, perhaps they should just have the recommended badge too.

That’d fix the post at least, but I do think something is needed to fix the impasse we’re currently in where extensions have no way of getting into Mozilla’s good graces. The effects of the current approach shake out into weird places like this blog post. Sorry, end of rant, I guess.

Blogs often have a comment section. Any plans for that?

I’m also confused about the missing “Recommended” badge and also missing “Warning” text - so are updates of these addons being manually reviewed as well?

Also in this specific article I would expect to see the new experimental addon that Mozilla is working on that can do the offline translations - I’ve read about it here. Or is it not ready enough?

And lastly - the install button works but it opens a blank new tab - is that a bug? I would also make the addon title a link to that addon. Currently if you want to see the addon page you need to find the link in the text.

We don’t plan to enable commenting on those posts, no. We will post them here in case anyone wants to give feedback about them, but we don’t think comments will be useful to the target audience of these posts.

Yes.

These posts won’t usually mention experimental projects. We’ll focus on add-ons that are meant for the general population.

Opening a blank tab is a bug, for sure. I can’t reproduce it myself. You can file an issue for it here.
Linking the add-on title is something we’re already working on fixing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the answers!
Regarding the new tab - it has a target="_blank" so it will open in a new tab:

Screenshot 2021-06-16 20.41.10

Yes, but that should only occur if Firefox doesn’t detect the extension installation first. You may have some special setting changed that removes privileges or JS execution from AMO…

Good deduction! I have indeed disabled those restrictions on the AMO domain to allow my ScrollAnywhere addon to scroll there.
So that’s why I don’t see “Remove” button when I visit already installed addon? Bizarre…

Also:

S3.Translator

Downside: difficult to use with extensions such as Diigo. I think I know why, but still: it’s always a paper cut.