We have an add-on which is currently being published with the native application as it is entirely dependent on the native application to work. We are using Windows registry method on Windows and Copying XPI file to Firefox installation directory on MAC to install our extension. Could you provide information for these queries:
- Will copying the XPI file to user directory be supported in Firefox 74?
- Will the Window registry method be supported in Firefox 74?
- Is there any other way to auto install the extension (maybe let the user enable the extension on their own) with XPI file or AMO?
- For self-hosting method, does user has to download the XPI file and manually install it using Install add-on from file option? Or Firefox will automatically install the add-on on downloading XPI file?
- If the users has an installed add-on with sideloading, will the add-on be removed after updating to Firefox 74?
- As per the blog , with Firefox 73, the add-on will be moved to user’s profile. Will it continue to work for Firefox 74 if the add-on is placed in user’s profile directory?
- Chrome provides a registry method to auto install the extension from Chrome store. Is there any way for auto installation from AMO/self-distribution using Window registry or other methods?