Revive Session Manager : Version 0.8.1.13 Stoped develpment in 2017-01-30

Hello every body , and great communty of firefox :slightly_smiling_face:
I am a user of the firefox browser since 12 years now, and love using it since i discoverd it, reather then ohters browser.
and sorry but i am not a programmer or a devalpoper of add-ons i am just normal user
but it have been 5 years now that i use am using fireforx 52.9ers
you can wonder why ? beacaus i use an old add-on where it devlpopment and updat stoped for the new firefox version Session Manager
i know that i cant help much but i am seeking a way a peronse who ever used Session Manager in the past and they know it great utilty to recover session in no time beacaus i tried every singel session add-on in this but no one of theme get the Session Manager utiity and simlicity of use
every thing can be found in the http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/
website the code source the xpi file
i want to thnakthe devloper of the app beacaus i think that never shown up since the last updat 0.8.1.13
so pleas help revive this great add i want some help to contribut in this project i want to study java or any other method to reach this gol so pleas help me in this journy
and if you can have a chance to test this great ancient add-on you will not regret it
thank for your time :blush:

Session Manager used disk-based storage in transparent manner that isn’t possibly any more: user action is generally required to save to and read from disk since Firefox 57.

However, you should be able to find new extensions that use database file or bookmark-based storage. What have you found to be missing in your testing? These are the ones I’m aware of that you might investigate/try out:

Use database storage:

Use bookmark storage:

Bookmark storage is more robust in that Firefox backs it up regularly. However, having the extra data show up when you are searching your bookmarks may be annoying.

1 Like

I’ve avoided upgrading from Firefox 53 for years because I didn’t want to lose the functionality of my add-ons, Showcase was the one I was sure was going to go away. I didn’t realize I was also going to lose Session Manager. Today I upgraded to Firefox 93, and now it seems I have no access to my previously saved sessions. THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM FOR ME - I had HUNDREDS of sessions saved, many with tens of windows and hundreds of tabs. Is there an add on that can access those previously saved sessions???

Hi Fred, first, don’t panic. Session Manager had a very predictable way of storing session data that newer session managers could import – at least they could after Firefox 57 launched; hopefully they haven’t lost that feature over the years due to low demand.

Here’s an example of one that is still maintained that used to have the feature to import Session Manager files: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/tab-session-manager/

I strongly recommend starting by backing up your sessions folder to a more accessible location. Here’s how:

(1) To open your profile folder…

You can open your current Firefox profile folder using either

• “3-bar” menu button > Help > More Troubleshooting Information
  • (menu bar) Help > More Troubleshooting Information
  • type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter

In the first table on the page, find the Profile Folder row and click the “Open Folder” button on that row. (The wording of the button differs slightly on Mac/Linux.)

(2) Copy the sessions folder to a safe place

In your profile folder, right-click the sessions folder and click Copy. Switch over to your desktop or documents folder, right-click > Paste.

Optional Preview / Archiving Tool

I have a web app to read session history files and output them to a page of clickable links. This might be useful for deciding which files you want to migrate and/or to have the data saved in a list format.

To preview the contents of a file, you can drag and drop it onto the box on the following page:

https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html

Then click the Scrounge URLs button to generate the list. If it’s useful, use the Save List button to trigger downloading the list as a web page.