Single Source of Truth

We need to agree on a place that you can start at and always end up finding the information you need. However we need that single place where you can always start, rather than having to check through all different sources and not know where to start.

Right now we have information in bugzilla, in the wiki, in etherpads and on discourse.

While etherpads are incredibly dynamic and easy to drop links into, they are not so easy to search.

Perhaps what we want to do is have a wiki page, that links simply to etherpads. That way people who are doing a lot of work are almost always working in etherpads, but people who are less familiar with the project or who don’t have access to the etherpad team can use a single wiki page to get started.

The etherpads can hold links to bugzilla searches, discourse links, other pads etc.

Really, I’d love to have JIRA for this.

Please let me know if you have questions or other suggestions.

1 Like

If it was me, I’d make the Wiki be the “Single Source of Truth” - it’s easy for people to find, to edit and to have the history displayed.

Etherpads (in my view) are just annoying as you can’t find them, and they don’t seem to work very well as far as I can see…

I agree with @cso. Etherpads are great for temporal data but poor for persistence.

Yes, that is the strength of etherpads and the weakness of the wiki. Etherpads are great as works in progress, wikis aren’t.

@cso - I love etherpads, but not everyone uses them properly. Do you have a team account yet? Having a team account allows you to see a list of the etherpads in the sub-domain. While etherpads almost definitely will not be our “single source of truth” they aren’t going to go away either.

I filled in the form requesting it I think… But not heard anything.