Strict_min_version set to "88.0" in manifest.json, but can't load extension in nightly 88.0a1

What should “strict_min_version” be to work on all version of 88? It works fine if I set “strict_min_version” to “88.0a1”, but I’d like to publish the extension to work on all versions of 88.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/version/format
A string-part that exists is always less than a string-part that doesn’t exist (1.6a is less than 1.6).

I’m not sure I understand the version format, but it sounds like strict_min_version would need to be either 88.0.0 or even 88.0.0.0.0 (if that’s actually allowed)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the extension still won’t load if I set “strict_min_version" to “88.0.0”. I played around with it a little more and set “strict_min_version" to “87.0” and I could load the extension on Firefox “87.0b9”, but not on “87.0a1”. Maybe it’s just a bug or intended design.

It’s intended design. Version 88 is bigger than 88.0a1. So a min version of 88.0a1 is actually the smallest version in the 88 family, all other versions will be bigger. This is so the version number keeps increasing going from nightly (88.0a1), to beta (88.0b1-*), to release (88.*).