[Support] Sage-Like - Sidebar Based RSS Feed Reader

Hello!
I was looking for an alternative to Fraidycat for a number of reasons(1), and I came across Sage-Like. It looks great!!

Just a little question, I know that the name is right “sidebar based”… but :sweat_smile:… will you ever consider making possible to have it in a tab, like Fraidycat of Feedbro?

Thank you!

(1) It hasn’t been updated in almost three years, sometimes for no reason it loses all saved feeds, it says to sync via Firefox user but doesn’t, developer hasn’t responded to github issues in a long time…

I retrieved an OPML I had from Fraidycat and tried to import on Sage-like, but it created a series of empty folders instead of feeds :thinking:

Hi John,

After rethinking I now believe that the improvement in performance is justified. From my experience most feeds are sorted chronologically and I’ll add an informative message to notify the user about the sorting issue.

I’ll work on it.

Regarding the sidebar. Firefox web extensions are not allowed this type of control over the sidebar.

You can get some performance improvement if you uncheck the ‘Show total number of unread feeds and feed-items’ option.

Option to preventing feed refreshing upon sidebar opening is very interesting. I’ll look into it.

‘Skip Completed’ might not be relevant to Sage-Like. When the sidebar is opened, only the feed’s text files, essentially a list of links, are fetched from the web. The articles themselves aren’t loaded into the browser until a feed item is clicked.

1 Like

Hello Edo_Dry,

Glad to hear you found interest in Sage-Like!

Moving to a tab layout means rethinking how the extension works. It will be a completely different extension rather than a simple adjustment.

Hi again Edo_Dry, :smile:

Yes.

There is an issue here and I’ll try to upload a new version to fix it as soon as I can.

Hello Ariel,
Sage-Like v1.5 or newer (including v3.6) displays only five old posts from this feed:

https://codeberg.org/20-100/uni-STC.atom

Sage-Like v1.4 or older displays all 21 posts including latest ones. Could you please check?

Hi Davor,

Firstly, thank you for the thorough investigation.

It appears that the post URLs in the feed were changed to relative links, causing them to fail a validity check within the extension. I have fixed the issue, and it will be included in the next release.

Due to the fact that this particular feed contains posts with identical URLs, I’ve managed to identify and correct another minor issue. So thank you x2.

1 Like

Hi @ariel.risky I am using Sage-Like from the past 6 months and it works great. Using it for these rss feeds only
https://www.moneycontrol.com/india/newsarticle/rssfeeds/rssfeeds.php?classic=true
From the past week the feeds are not updating in Sage-Like. Tried some other rss reader and they worked fine. Any help?

Hi @bakra,

Thank you and I’ll be happy to help.

The page you provided contains more then 100 links that look like they are supposed to be RSS feeds.

From what I see, only about 30 of them leads to valid feeds. The rest seems to be broken.

Can you provide 2-3 feed links that demonstrate the issues you are experiencing?

What other RSS reader did you used that did not display any problem?

If its possible, I’ll appreciate if you can also add some screenshots of the above feeds and feed-items as they are displayed in Sage-Like and in the other RSS reader for comparison.