[Support] Tab Re-Title General Support

Hi Laz,

1. Any progress on a non-conflicting shortcut to open the dialog? Have you TRIED Control_Alt_T?
  2. Also request shortcut to put the old title in the new name entry box (OR better still, as elsewhere requested, have it there as default.)
  3. Feature request - can you put in tab right click context menu, with a mnemonic? (RightClick, T).
  4. Can the right click enable renaming of UNLOADED tabs? Reasons:
    (a) Have to navigate away wait to load, retitle then go back to previous tab as it is-distracting
    (b) Tree Tabs restores tabs unloaded with the custom titles now (FINALLY!), but when they are loaded the custom titles are overwritten (because the restored tab is not in retitle memory). Very important as I often have to restore whole groups of tabs I have annotated previously! So rightclick and old name already in name entry box would make this a simple process!)
    Thanks - Vicki
    PS it took me 3 hours (2 attempts, I gave up a couple of months ago) to login to this page through auth0.com-FF password manager doesnt recognise or save the login details?
    Then its confusing- 2 pages both labelled the same? Where to post and find responses?

I use retitle all the time, it is incredibly time consuming to have to mouse click in 2-5 places every time and wait for pages to load - and lose all my old titles when reloading.

1. Yes I’ve tried, and Ctrl-Alt-T does not work at least on Mac Firefox. I wish firefox made keyboard shortcuts customizable like chrome, but they don’t…
  2. You can click the title on the top left corner for now. I’m thinking of making it the default in the next update.
  3. There’s no way to put a text shortcut on the context menu. I’ll see what I can do about right clicking the tab. It currently opens a popup up but if the tab is not selected, it wouldn’t work so I need to come up with another way.
  4. Not sure what you mean by unloaded tabs, but I assume that’s from using another extension. But my guess is that you are using Only this time or the Set for this tab option? Because that won’t be saved across sessions. If you use Only exact match or use regex, it will be persistent across sessions.

P.S. I too hate this forced 2FA login on this page. You can use github issues for support as well.

Wait, apparently you can edit addon shortcuts now in firefox as well! https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manage-extension-shortcuts-firefox

bllinking title / tabname

Dear Lazyuki, thanks for the add-on and I’ve a question as it looks like the title is blinking and maybe you could help me to configure the add-on properly or help in the solution of the problem. I describe the problem and I hope you could advise me.

Some webpages are changing title every few seconds and this lead to a ‘blinking’ of the tab name in the browswer which is to me quite annoying and I’d like a static (non changing) tab name.
I include also the URL as example jetcost.it (after performing a search the result page has a title changing every few seconds).

Trying o solve this problem I’ve installed your add-on and configured a domain title “j” for the webpage.
I open the webpage and title “j” is shown but approximately every couple of seconds the title is set back to a new value and then reverted back to “j”.

Do you know how I could set a permanent title as tab name?

Thanks and kind regards,
Andrea

Hey
As far as I know, there’s no way to stop that website (jetcost.it) from changing its own page title. This is because the website is running its own script that updates the page title every few seconds, and my addon detects the change and reverts it back to what you’ve set.

I took a look at their source code and it seems that the function startFlickeringTitle inside theme.min.js is causing the flickering every 1.3 seconds. Unfortunately, there’s no way to block that function alone since theme.min.js is required to display the actual contents on the page.

Dear Lazyuki,

Thank you very much Lazyuki for your time in the investigation and the clear explanation.

I’m happy to know the add-on is properly configured and it is over riding the page title detecting the page script running.

cheers, Andrea

1 Like

The features list includes:
“Use saved bookmarks’ titles!”

I can’t find instructions anywhere on how to change the tab title to the bookmark’s title.

If the tab’s URL matches anything in your bookmark, it will suggest to use the bookmark’s name as your tab title

Hi Laz, I have added some issues on the github site you linked above, no response… have you seen them? Would you prefer I posted them here?
:slight_smile:

Maybe make the pop-up wider?

I often use long titles.

Also, re: https://github.com/Lazyuki/ReTitle/issues/17#issuecomment-609985586 a wider pop-up could allow more words (less ambiguity) for the radio buttons.

Hey thanks for the feedback. I started working on a major rewrite and I’ll be sure to make it wider and less ambiguous

Different Names for same URL in Different containers?

Great Extension!

I am going to the same URL but in different containers, and would like to be able name them differently. It works fine temporarily, but if I reload the tabs, they are named the same.

Is this possible?

p.s. I also posted this on GitHub. I wasn’t sure if you followed the issues there? Which place do you prefer??

hey i want that all my tabs to use same name, i use multiple profiles on mozilla and that’s why i need to rename all the tabs, i saw on other addons that is an option to put /*/ in the space for html and will rename all opened tabs

This works well once I figured out how to do a Regex to remove a specific annoying phrase that Amazon inserts at the beginning of every page Title. I don’t like that because it messes up the default name of my bookmarks.

Here’s the regex I used: /AmazonSmile: (.{1,45}).*/$1/

This removes the literal phrase "AmazonSmile: " from the beginning of any page title on smile.amazon.com. It removes the first phrase and then inserts the rest of the title but only up to 45 characters in length. If the original title is longer, it truncates the rest. I found a Regex testing site that helped me figure this out. https://regex101.com/r/vMzP9d/6

Hi Lazyuki, thanks so much for this add on. Would it be possible to combine “name this tab” and “this exact match” such that whatever is in the named tab gets that name, and it’s kept across restarts. The add-on would have to sniff URL changes, and keep track of whatever was the most recent for the tab…

Hi Lazyuki, thanks for the addon, its currently a real saver for me.

I am using it when I’m building webpages with Oxygen Builder. When I have several Oxygen Editor tabs open I can’t see what template is open on which tab because each tab is named “Oxygen Visual Editor - Templatename” (it’s too long to see the template name in the tab)

I am using regex “/(Oxygen Visual Editor)/O2/” with settings: “set for this domain”.

Would it be possible if you could add one more option to include the replace function on all domains because now I have to do it for each developement webpage separately.

Thanks!

Thanks a ton for this extension! Minor bug report for regex. I weirdly get “Regex Error: no pattern match” if I try to use a bare match group as a substitution, but not if I just add extra arbitrary text to the substitution. For example, the following regex breaks on this page:

/(Amazon.com: )?(.*)/$2/

But just adding “Arbitrary text” at the end avoids the bug:

/(Amazon.com: )?(.*)/$2 Arbitrary text/

Suppose page/tab titles for a domain are something like

Foo at Some Domain
Bar at Some Domain

1. Can regexes automatically re-title things like this to Foo and Bar respectively?
  2. If so and the page is bookmarked will the bookmark name be the original or modified title?

Support is at https://github.com/Lazyuki/ReTitle/issues

Hello,

Your Tab ReTitle Add-On for Firefox doesn’t work in version 107.0.1 on PC.

Please fix it.

Thanks,
Evgeny