[Support] uMatrix

I am currently using AdBlockPlus in addition to uMatrix (V1.3.16 on FF 63.0.3 Linux Mint), mainly for its ability to block certain annoying page elements on some websites.

Examples are from its filter list are:
heise.de##.a-paternoster-centered.a-paternoster-container
heise.de##.a-paternoster-clip
heise.de##.a-paternoster-ad
||cdn2.spiegel.de/images/image-57228*.jpg$domain=www.spiegel.de

Despite having spent considerable time on trying to figure out a filter rule to achieve the same effect with uMatrix’ “My Rules” alone, I didn’t succeed.

Hence now here my questions:
Can this be done?
And if so, how how exactly would the filter rule entry need to look like?

Thank you

Not in uMatrix.

You can try uBlock Origin where you can use “dynamic filtering” similar to uMatrix and easily create ABP-like hidding rules

Hi, I have some issues with uMatrix on Firefox for Android. For some websites, the panel doesn’t show third-party domains at all, while they definitely are present. This means that some broken websites cannoted be adjusted.

Has anybody else had this problem as well and what might be the fix?

I didn’t see any responses, so I thought I’d share my thoughts.

Essentially, I don’t understand why you want to use umatrix.

It seems that your primary concern is ad blocking, which uBlock is very capable of doing.
You also mention that umatrix breaks pages “a lot” - I’ve never used umatrix, and this is the main reason.

Your approach to unbreaking sites while using umatrix (allowing scripts generally for each broken site) suggests to me that you would probably be best served by using only uBlock.

I don’t want to seem condescending, but it seems like umatrix requires both a greater understanding of how browsers work than you have and a greater commitment to being involved with what your browser does every time that it’s used than want to make.

I doubt there will ever be a wiki for umatrix like there is for uBlock; umatrix seems to be intended for users who equipped want to review its source code before installing it. (Hence the lack of a wiki.)

If you do go back to uBlock without umatrix, consider adding some of the AdGuard lists. You may even want to visit AdGuard’s list site to see all of what they offer.

If you’re interested, I use these filter lists from AdGuard:
AdGuard Base filter​​​​​
AdGuard Mobile Ads filter
AdGuard Spyware filter
AdGuard Annoyances filter
AdGuard Social Media filter
AdGuard Experimental filter

Just a passing idea:

It looks like those first three filters might be replaced by:
heise.de##[class|=‘a-paternoster’]
That’s what I’d try in uBlock.

Kick ABP to the curb! :grinning:

You may have moved past this, but for your missing icon it’s probably in the overflow menu. Select customize from the main menu, and everything that’s hidden there will be displayed.

Also, it sounds like you should be starting with uBlock Origin.

Any chance this happens on first tab of freshly opened Firefox only? There is known bug where extensions fail to work on first tab. Similar issue: https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uMatrix-issues/issues/95

Wow thanks. I wasn’t aware uMatrix issues were discussed at that page. This is definitely a first tab problem, thanks for pointing this out to me!

Does uMatrix support patterns with wildcard character in it (for ex: example.com *.example.org xhr allow )? I tried one pattern of this kind but, it didn’t work whereas, replacing *.example.org with * worked.

Wildcards are implicit, no need for asterisk - all subdomains are included.

@gwarser Thank you.

I wonder, why doesn’t explicit asterisk work?

In Google Chrome, one can set a keyboard shortcut to open uMatrix up (open uMatrix to the grid-view where one can allow/disallow items). There is no keyboard shortcut ability in Firefox.

Is the fact that there is no keyboard shortcut for Firefox a “Firefox bug” or a feature that gorhill has not implemented into the uMatrix version of Firefox?

This was Firefox bug for some time https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uMatrix-issues/issues/37 but now it’s “not enough free time” bug :slight_smile:

I also don’t think Firefox support “Activate the extension” action for shortcuts.

To make sure I understood your post correctly: it is a “bug” with Firefox then, not something that has been left out of uMatrix?"

I dont know why I can’t open webpages anymore if uMatrix is enabled. I am on firefox 74 linux version.

I removed hpHosts from stock assets and it turns out the code was not prepared to deal with such removal, unlike uBO. It’s a code path that was never tested in uMatrix.

The workaround I have identified is:

• Open uMatrix’s dashboard
  • Go to Assets pane
  • Select or unselect one hosts asset
  • Click “Apply changes”
  • Revert change above, click “Apply changes” again

This should fix uMatrix until the proper fix is in the next release.

…I have reverted the removal of hpHosts for the time being, so possibly forcing an update of all assets would fix the issue as well. You should un-check hpHosts, it’s no longer served from the remote server, it will be removed again once uMatrix can deal with doing so without breaking.

uMatrix : Block entire Domain and its Subdomains.
Hi, i got following rules:

but these do not block it :frowning:

How could i manage to block yaunel.com?
thx

uMatrix is off in behind-the-scene context.

My uMatrix addon has worked flawlessly for years. Then, in the middle of watching a YouTube video on Firefox 90.0.1 (latest), it auto-updated to version 1.4.2 and broke Firefox completely, cutting off all internet access. The only solution I have found so far is to disable uMatrix completely… which is a shame. I’ve restarted Firefox to no avail. I’ve attempted disabling, re-enabling and updating the rules lists from within uMatrix settings, but that doesn’t work either. (I don’t think they’ve been able to update because the extension is broken.) The official issue tracker doesn’t appear to accept new issue reports at present, due to the code being archived, so I’m posting here instead. Hopefully this major glitch can get picked up and addressed quickly.

I found a workaround on reddit.

I re-enabled uMatrix, and visited its preferences page, the “assets” tab. Then I selected “Update Now”. Then, after a while the following entries (Hosts files and Rulesets recipes) were displayed with a broken link icon next to them:

• Malware Domain List
  • Malware domains
  • Ruleset recipes for English websites

​I disabled those entries, and now uMatrix is working again.