Testing Translate.Next – Phase 2

Hear ye, hear ye, all ye who pass by: The time for Phase 2 Testing of Translate.Next has come! If you don’t know what I’m talking about, please read the dedicated topic.

Phase 2 Testing

Here’s another great news: this testing will happen on our production website, meaning that contributions you make while testing will be actual contributions, that others will see and that will end up in products.

Timeline

This second phase will last until all remaining Translate.Next bugs are fixed. It will work differently from the previous one: because it happens on production, instead of asking you to test for a short period of time, we would like to encourage you to make Translate.Next your default translation interface. Phase 2 is expected to last approximately two months.

Preliminary steps

Before you can get to Translate.Next on Pontoon, you need to volunteer, and we need to give you access. Unlike last time, we will not nominate anyone (well, we actually have nominated Flod, Matjaz and Théo :wink: ) but instead inform many of our users that this is happening, and let you all decide if you want to help us with this or not.

Note that if you volunteer for this, we expect that you will use Translate.Next as your default translation interface, and will only occasionally revert to the current app. It might be a hinder to your work flow, but it will greatly help identify critical missing features, and ensure the robustness of this new version.

To become a Translate.Next tester, please contact me on IRC or by email, and tell me the email address you use to log in to Pontoon. Once you have been given access (I’ll let you know), go to Pontoon’s Translate page (for example, this page) and click the “Try Translate.Next” button in the top-right corner. That’s it, you’re using Translate.Next now!

Testing Plan

The testing plan this time around is very simple: just do everything you would normally do on Pontoon. Once you have turned Translate.Next on, every link to the translate app, throughout the app or outside, will take you to the new UI. The transition should be smooth… Until you hit one of the known bugs or missing features.

Known bugs

We are not yet finished working on Translate.Next, and you will keep seeing improvements in the coming weeks. In the meantime, we track what’s left to do in our Pontoon wiki page.

To give you a brief overview of what’s missing as of today:

1. Fluent integration is still basic: there is no Rich UI for the Editor, meaning you’ll need to deal with Fluent syntax when translating Fluent strings.
  2. Batch actions are missing.
  3. Only the basic search filters are available, and they cannot be combined yet.

Reporting issues

Before reporting an issue, please verify that it is not yet tracked in the previously linked wiki page. If it isn’t, or you’re not sure, please add an answer to this thread, using the following template:

<ins>URL:</ins>

<ins>Description:</ins>

<ins>Expected outcome:</ins>

<ins>Steps to reproduce:</ins>

I am very excited we are finally able to use Translate.Next on production! I look forward to all the feedback you’ll give us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Adrian,

I am Gabriela Montagu. I’ve been translating with Pontoon for a long time now (es-AR) and I’d like to try Translate.Next.

I tried to contact you via your website but it didn’t seem to work, that’s why I’m sending the same message here.

I’ll be looking forward to receiving your permission to access!

Regards,
Gabriela

Done! Thank you for helping us. :slight_smile:

Thank you Adrian!

Just a question: there are some blue font tranlations and also some red ones. I’d like to know what’s the differcence, aka what it means.

@mathjazz Luna Jernberg (bittin) Translator for SV-SE also wanna try Pontoon.Translate.Next logged in to the testing server, is there anything more i have to do?

@gaby2300 I’m not sure what you’re talking about, could you maybe provide a screenshot of what’s confusing you? Thanks.

She’s probably talking about FTL strings. Unlike before, the string includes the ID.

It’s red if there’s an error. Note that you currently can’t copy suggestions from the MACHINERY tab.

1 Like
<ins>URL:https://pontoon.mozilla.org/translate/da/firefox-monitor-website/app.ftl/?string=191901</ins>

<ins>Description: Shortcuts with the command-key on Mac does strange things when <div id="brace-editor"> is in focus. 

cmd-d deletes selected text instead of saving a bookmark, cmd-l opens an alert asking me to "Enter a line number" instead of bringing focus to the Address Bar, cmd-f does nothing instead of opening "search in page" - and so on. Note that some shortcuts, e.g. cmd-w (close tab) works fine. </ins>

<ins>Expected outcome:</ins>
Shortcuts in Firefox for MacOS work as they normally do.

<ins>Steps to reproduce:</ins>
1. Use Firefox Nightly on MacOS
2. Click inside the text box on Translate.Next to focus it
3. Use regular shortcuts in Firefox involving the command-key

@adngdb Am I using the template in the right way? I just copied it from your text, but it looks pretty ugly.

@kappel You want to remove the blockquote around that template (the triple ` character) so that it shows up pretty, but don’t worry, that’s food enough for me. :slight_smile:

The issue you’re facing is due to our using the Ace editor for Fluent strings. That editor does override some basic shortcuts to make them behave like those of a “real” editor. There is no way around that, as it’s actually more of a feature than a bug. However, I am currently working on implementing the Fluent Rich Editor, which will, for most cases, replace this code editor, thus removing these issues. If you want to follow the progress of that work, here’s our master bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1554705

Thanks for reporting!

Everyone,

We had to disable Translate.Next on production today because of an unexpected issue that broke it. We are currently investigating what went wrong, and will turn it back on as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconveniences this causes!

Hi,

Translate.Next has been turned on again. Happy testing! :slight_smile:

And sorry for the inconvenience.

I think I meant just that!
In time I discovered that the translations that lacked the ID (the words before the “=”) were red. When I added the ID, they become blue.
Having to copy the ID and only then including the translation was quite time consuming but… As a whole I think it’s a good experience